Rollacoaster

Hello

I am a 55 year old guy who can easily relate to many other life stories on this forum , wondering why I was different etc . In short I crashed at Christmas time and stayed in my bubble until last Friday when I clicked on an Australian guy on You Tube who ran through the ASD common symptoms  . Since then my world has collapsed and been rebuilt several times , quite frankly I haven’t a clue how I feel I am I think relieved in some ways a scrambled all at the same time . I have no one to speak to really that can help 

My current plan is to carry on bashing away at it (life that is) the same wayI have done since before I can remember but with the added knowledge that I have learned over the past week or so ie trying to take notice of what aggravates me then avoid it 

I think I’m going to need a bigger pad ha ha

Im not looking for sympathy and any help would be very much appreciated 

With peace

Carl

Parents
  • Welcome aboard!

I suspect what you're experiencing is burn out - we are bad at the social game so we mask like crazy - but this takes a lot of energy.   It's ok when we're young but as we get older, we just can't sustain it so cracks start to appear - and then there's some realisation that we're not the same as everyone else - and we go down the path of diagnosis.

I've found that the anxiety and stress all boils down to uncertainty - with everything.      The more uncertainty, the more stress - and it just burns up all our energy to keep moving forward - so we eventually stop.

Good luck with it all - and be kind to yourself.  Smiley

• Welcome aboard!

I suspect what you're experiencing is burn out - we are bad at the social game so we mask like crazy - but this takes a lot of energy.   It's ok when we're young but as we get older, we just can't sustain it so cracks start to appear - and then there's some realisation that we're not the same as everyone else - and we go down the path of diagnosis.

I've found that the anxiety and stress all boils down to uncertainty - with everything.      The more uncertainty, the more stress - and it just burns up all our energy to keep moving forward - so we eventually stop.

Good luck with it all - and be kind to yourself.  Smiley

Children
No Data