Is this forum indicative of the wider Aspie public?

Hi. Joined a few weeks ago after self-identifying, and have begun the process of an official diagnosis a few days ago. 

I am pretty convinced that I have Aspergers/HFA, but after reading the posts on here I feel that perhaps my symptoms are not as bad as I thought. Relationships have suffered throughout my life, I stim, have anxiety issues... but is it crippling? No. 

I lead a relatively normal life. Married with a child. Successful career. But I always put my foot in it. Say inappropriate things. My tics are discreet but ongoing. Man of very few friends. Can be obsessive. Scored 44 on ASQ and 10 on EQ. But then I read some of the posts on here...

So - are the issues many of you face on here typical for somebody suffering from Aspergers? I read about suicidal thoughts, being afraid of the outside world, crippling anxiety, and an inkling of doubt starts to creep in!

Parents
  • Hi, Midlands Monkey. Since autism is a spectrum condition, we all experience things very differently. You'd probably be surprised how many challenges you have without even realising (e.g. I thought everyone could hear fluorescent lights buzzing and found clothes itchy - I didn't realise that these were sensory issues!). We also don't tend to use high-functioning/low-functioning labels anymore; our ability to function can vary day-to-day, and often, people who are described as 'high-functioning' just mask a lot (so non-autistic people don't necessarily notice their differences). When you mention that your challenges aren't crippling, that could also be to do with your environment (e.g. if your needs are usually met and you feel quite secure in your environment).

I'd recommend taking a look at Purple Ella and YoSamdySam's YouTube videos - they were really helpful to me when I was exploring diagnosis. If you like reading, Laura James' 'Odd Girl Out' is about her experiences of adult diagnosis; I found it really interesting. 

If you think you might be autistic, there's usually a good reason, so it's worth learning more about the condition and having a think about whether you'd like to pursue adult diagnosis (I'm pursuing one now). 

Everyone on the autism spectrum is different and has a unique set of needs/experiences, so don't be put off if you see people talking about things that you haven't experienced yourself.

Hope that helps Slight smile

• Hi, Midlands Monkey. Since autism is a spectrum condition, we all experience things very differently. You'd probably be surprised how many challenges you have without even realising (e.g. I thought everyone could hear fluorescent lights buzzing and found clothes itchy - I didn't realise that these were sensory issues!). We also don't tend to use high-functioning/low-functioning labels anymore; our ability to function can vary day-to-day, and often, people who are described as 'high-functioning' just mask a lot (so non-autistic people don't necessarily notice their differences). When you mention that your challenges aren't crippling, that could also be to do with your environment (e.g. if your needs are usually met and you feel quite secure in your environment).

I'd recommend taking a look at Purple Ella and YoSamdySam's YouTube videos - they were really helpful to me when I was exploring diagnosis. If you like reading, Laura James' 'Odd Girl Out' is about her experiences of adult diagnosis; I found it really interesting. 

If you think you might be autistic, there's usually a good reason, so it's worth learning more about the condition and having a think about whether you'd like to pursue adult diagnosis (I'm pursuing one now). 

Everyone on the autism spectrum is different and has a unique set of needs/experiences, so don't be put off if you see people talking about things that you haven't experienced yourself.

Hope that helps Slight smile

Children