Is this forum indicative of the wider Aspie public?

Hi. Joined a few weeks ago after self-identifying, and have begun the process of an official diagnosis a few days ago. 

I am pretty convinced that I have Aspergers/HFA, but after reading the posts on here I feel that perhaps my symptoms are not as bad as I thought. Relationships have suffered throughout my life, I stim, have anxiety issues... but is it crippling? No. 

I lead a relatively normal life. Married with a child. Successful career. But I always put my foot in it. Say inappropriate things. My tics are discreet but ongoing. Man of very few friends. Can be obsessive. Scored 44 on ASQ and 10 on EQ. But then I read some of the posts on here...

So - are the issues many of you face on here typical for somebody suffering from Aspergers? I read about suicidal thoughts, being afraid of the outside world, crippling anxiety, and an inkling of doubt starts to creep in!

Parents
  • It's a spectrum ..... condition. ! I consider myself a bit of an outlier most of the time, but I also note that conspicuous success has never really worked for me; even though I can be quite conventional. i read enough here to form the impression that this forum is quite indicative of different locations on the spectrum. I feel reasonably at home here; in fact more so than I feel where I actually live.

• It's a spectrum ..... condition. ! I consider myself a bit of an outlier most of the time, but I also note that conspicuous success has never really worked for me; even though I can be quite conventional. i read enough here to form the impression that this forum is quite indicative of different locations on the spectrum. I feel reasonably at home here; in fact more so than I feel where I actually live.

Children
No Data