Is this forum indicative of the wider Aspie public?

Hi. Joined a few weeks ago after self-identifying, and have begun the process of an official diagnosis a few days ago. 

I am pretty convinced that I have Aspergers/HFA, but after reading the posts on here I feel that perhaps my symptoms are not as bad as I thought. Relationships have suffered throughout my life, I stim, have anxiety issues... but is it crippling? No. 

I lead a relatively normal life. Married with a child. Successful career. But I always put my foot in it. Say inappropriate things. My tics are discreet but ongoing. Man of very few friends. Can be obsessive. Scored 44 on ASQ and 10 on EQ. But then I read some of the posts on here...

So - are the issues many of you face on here typical for somebody suffering from Aspergers? I read about suicidal thoughts, being afraid of the outside world, crippling anxiety, and an inkling of doubt starts to creep in!

Parents
  • Hi - I used to think like you - I was successful, married, child etc - doing very well etc.     My undiagnosed aspie abilities meant I could do things other people couldn't.     I hated things that were unclear or unknown so my job in engineering meant I could literally fix and control everything around me.    I made lots of money for the company.

And then my life suddenly became very stressful and I had no coping mechanism - too many unknowns all at once and my stress got away from me - so my health collapsed - which is apparently a common aspie trait.    

It's something I didn't see coming - it's literally like hitting a wall when the ability to accept more and more stress just tips over the limit and your body says 'no more' and puts the brakes on permanently.

I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but aspie burn-out is surprisingly common - and it catches you off guard.

You're obviously thinking of a diagnosis now - so what was your trigger?

• Hi - I used to think like you - I was successful, married, child etc - doing very well etc.     My undiagnosed aspie abilities meant I could do things other people couldn't.     I hated things that were unclear or unknown so my job in engineering meant I could literally fix and control everything around me.    I made lots of money for the company.

And then my life suddenly became very stressful and I had no coping mechanism - too many unknowns all at once and my stress got away from me - so my health collapsed - which is apparently a common aspie trait.    

It's something I didn't see coming - it's literally like hitting a wall when the ability to accept more and more stress just tips over the limit and your body says 'no more' and puts the brakes on permanently.

I'm not saying it happens to everyone, but aspie burn-out is surprisingly common - and it catches you off guard.

You're obviously thinking of a diagnosis now - so what was your trigger?

Children
  • For me it was hitting 40 and not knowing for sure. Every day just seems like there's additional stress that is unnecessary because of my 'quirks', and I hope an understanding is the first step to making things a bit easier in the second half of my life!