Is this forum indicative of the wider Aspie public?

Hi. Joined a few weeks ago after self-identifying, and have begun the process of an official diagnosis a few days ago. 

I am pretty convinced that I have Aspergers/HFA, but after reading the posts on here I feel that perhaps my symptoms are not as bad as I thought. Relationships have suffered throughout my life, I stim, have anxiety issues... but is it crippling? No. 

I lead a relatively normal life. Married with a child. Successful career. But I always put my foot in it. Say inappropriate things. My tics are discreet but ongoing. Man of very few friends. Can be obsessive. Scored 44 on ASQ and 10 on EQ. But then I read some of the posts on here...

So - are the issues many of you face on here typical for somebody suffering from Aspergers? I read about suicidal thoughts, being afraid of the outside world, crippling anxiety, and an inkling of doubt starts to creep in!

Parents
  • It's a spectrum .. some people have severe challenges others less so .. for me it's always been about coping strategies .. . trying to learn the 'rules' and blend in a bit better .. when I was a lot younger it was awful - but I didn't know then what I know now .. I laugh a lot more now and shrug :-) .. I'm no clinician but from the few indicators you've given I'd say that AS/HFA is 'likely' in your case .. imho .. 

• Thanks. I've enjoyed reading your contributions to my other posts.

I get it's a spectrum, but I guess it's imposter syndrome beginning to kick in alongside a mild decrease of the obsession for learning about this condition. Then again I suppose forums like these are magnets for people for bigger issues than me...

• Clearly there's a wide range of issues being discussed and tackled on here.

I don't think you're an imposter. If you chose to join in here it was for a reason and listening to other peoples stories can be very thought provoking .. I've gained loads already

.. I've never spoken so much about being ASD/Asperger before .. so its good for me .. and possibly my descriptions of being fine with being on the spectrum now are good for some people to hear

.. The phenomenal attention span that I have (ok some would call it obsession :-) ) for my special subject means I can get a lot done in a short time

.. without going into the detail I've found myself utterly fascinated by a particular field in the construction industry - and now I get paid to talk about my hobby :-) :-)

.. that wouldn't have happened without Aspergers I reckon ... 

• Clearly there's a wide range of issues being discussed and tackled on here.

I don't think you're an imposter. If you chose to join in here it was for a reason and listening to other peoples stories can be very thought provoking .. I've gained loads already

.. I've never spoken so much about being ASD/Asperger before .. so its good for me .. and possibly my descriptions of being fine with being on the spectrum now are good for some people to hear

.. The phenomenal attention span that I have (ok some would call it obsession :-) ) for my special subject means I can get a lot done in a short time

.. without going into the detail I've found myself utterly fascinated by a particular field in the construction industry - and now I get paid to talk about my hobby :-) :-)

.. that wouldn't have happened without Aspergers I reckon ... 

Children