Do you need to take a parent to assessment to get a diagnosis

Hi everyone, so I spoke with my gp on the phone today and she asked me why I think I’m autistic and asked me some questions and said that’s autism down to a T (response to my answers) and has referred me for an assessment, question is I was in foster care all my life and put in several different foster homes, my mum has severe learning difficulties and we don’t get on (our personalities clash) and my dad sadly passed away 5 years ago and I’ve lost contact with most recent foster parents so In a years time I would of been with my partner a year and a half when the assessment should take place, will this be a problem as I won’t have anyone with me that knew me in my childhood? 

Parents
  • Simple answer is no, but it does help to take someone that knows you really well, when you go to your assessment (if they request it), friend, colleague,  partner etc.

In my case my wife was invited to a session, but I  was thrown somewhat, because I thought the Psychologist wanted to speak to her on her own. But she saw both of us! I didn't say much while my wife was being questioned but it was a bit odd. As it turned out, she pretty much confirmed my statements, even though she stated that she did not believe I had Autism ( she still doesn't)...

• Simple answer is no, but it does help to take someone that knows you really well, when you go to your assessment (if they request it), friend, colleague,  partner etc.

In my case my wife was invited to a session, but I  was thrown somewhat, because I thought the Psychologist wanted to speak to her on her own. But she saw both of us! I didn't say much while my wife was being questioned but it was a bit odd. As it turned out, she pretty much confirmed my statements, even though she stated that she did not believe I had Autism ( she still doesn't)...

Children
No Data