Not a stimmer ?

Hi. I've just joined. I'm male mid fifties & have finally concluded I'm most likely ASD1 / aspie. One thing remains puzzling me & that is I don't seem to be a stimmer. I may of course have been masking things for so long I don't remember. What I'd like to try & find out is how common it is for an assessed ASD 1 to not stim. I've found plenty of info here & elsewhere on stimming but nothing on not stimming. Love to find out more. (sorry for putting this in the intro forum but I thought I'd get a better response here.)

Parents
  • Thank you all for replying. Having thought about what you have said, & caught myself fidgeting with the buttons my shirt & zip toggels on my trouser pockets while doing so, I realise I stim quite a bit. What I don't know is if I do this more so than would an NT. I don't have obviously unusual stims that I'm aware of , nor can I recall ever having had such with the possible exception of touching hair/fur when very little, 2-3yrs old. My Grandma had a mink fur broach that I constantly stoked whenever I could get at it, so my parents made sure she didn't ware it when we visited. I realised this was odd so I stopped doing it. I still like certain textures including running hair between my fingers & can vividly remember the (very pleasurable) feeling of that fur broach. Unfortunately my late wife hated having her hair touched. I also recall having had trouble with nail biting as a child & my parents trying various methods make me stop. I did but can't recall if it was through their intervention. Hair twirling & nail biting aren't unusual though & I don't know enough about normal peoples habits to be sure if mine would have be considered excessive or abnormally compulsive. Nor if what I do now qualifies as such. What you have made me notice is that I do do a wide variety of very discrete stimming but this hasn't ever been mentioned to me by anyone. Maybe I should start a list :)

Some of your comments have also jogged my memory about my late wife's habits. She compulsively counted things, stair steps in particular as she used them. She also habitually made & liked lists. kept utility bills, bank statements & kept detailed household accounts. The more I think about it the more I think she too may have had ASD1, which could well explain why we got on so well.

Thanks again.

• Thank you all for replying. Having thought about what you have said, & caught myself fidgeting with the buttons my shirt & zip toggels on my trouser pockets while doing so, I realise I stim quite a bit. What I don't know is if I do this more so than would an NT. I don't have obviously unusual stims that I'm aware of , nor can I recall ever having had such with the possible exception of touching hair/fur when very little, 2-3yrs old. My Grandma had a mink fur broach that I constantly stoked whenever I could get at it, so my parents made sure she didn't ware it when we visited. I realised this was odd so I stopped doing it. I still like certain textures including running hair between my fingers & can vividly remember the (very pleasurable) feeling of that fur broach. Unfortunately my late wife hated having her hair touched. I also recall having had trouble with nail biting as a child & my parents trying various methods make me stop. I did but can't recall if it was through their intervention. Hair twirling & nail biting aren't unusual though & I don't know enough about normal peoples habits to be sure if mine would have be considered excessive or abnormally compulsive. Nor if what I do now qualifies as such. What you have made me notice is that I do do a wide variety of very discrete stimming but this hasn't ever been mentioned to me by anyone. Maybe I should start a list :)

Some of your comments have also jogged my memory about my late wife's habits. She compulsively counted things, stair steps in particular as she used them. She also habitually made & liked lists. kept utility bills, bank statements & kept detailed household accounts. The more I think about it the more I think she too may have had ASD1, which could well explain why we got on so well.

Thanks again.

Children
No Data