The road to nowhere

Hello,

I'm trying to change my career path, but I can't seem to choose because I get the same feeling from all of them. My experiences, while nowhere near as bad as others on this forum, have soured me and I view all job descriptions with suspicion and paranoia.   It's less like choosing what I want to do and more like trying to choose the option that will result in the least amount of pain.  Do other people experience this?

Parents
  • All jobs suck in the end so I only see 2 choices - Money & stress or poverty & sanity.   Unless you fall into a well-paid vocational job.

Where are your strengths?    Can you work with people?   Part of a team?    Prefer to be on your own?     Can't deal with telephones?

I've always been able to pull out 'Super Mask' so I can go into hyper-drive for the acting-performance of an interview - make myself into the person they want.     I feel that allows me to interview them and see the location to decide if I would really want to work in that environment.      It puts the ball into my court and the decision will be mine.    I reckon you can pick up 80% of any job in the first week or so - and the NT workmates will only do 50% of their job anyway Smiley   So you'll be superior to them in 3 days.   Smiley

• All jobs suck in the end so I only see 2 choices - Money & stress or poverty & sanity.   Unless you fall into a well-paid vocational job.

Where are your strengths?    Can you work with people?   Part of a team?    Prefer to be on your own?     Can't deal with telephones?

I've always been able to pull out 'Super Mask' so I can go into hyper-drive for the acting-performance of an interview - make myself into the person they want.     I feel that allows me to interview them and see the location to decide if I would really want to work in that environment.      It puts the ball into my court and the decision will be mine.    I reckon you can pick up 80% of any job in the first week or so - and the NT workmates will only do 50% of their job anyway Smiley   So you'll be superior to them in 3 days.   Smiley

Children
  • I'm not quite sure of my strengths; personally I would say my skills are .  I did a Masters degree in Engineering, but I don't have your passion when it comes to the subject; I've never felt what you have for the subject, and all it's brought me is pain.

I'm good at maths and physics, but my mind has stagnated from years in a dead end job.  I'm good with Solidworks software, good grasp of written English, Microsoft packages (Excel, Word, etc).  I have a good sense of empathy; I can get on well in teams and I work well with others.  I prefer to work alone; I can 'blend-in', but being around people for too long will wear me down, even if I like being around them.  The irony is that most people tend to like me, because I'm polite, I'm trustworthy and try to treat them with respect, and maybe get a laugh out of them. 

I can learn new tasks quickly once I've been shown what to do, and I have laser-like focus; once I've started a job, I can carry on working for hours with minimal distraction.  I don't deal well with stress though, my mind just grinds to a halt when I'm in an unfamiliar, fast-paced stressful situation, but I will do better if I have time to prepare.