Excessive daydreaming/wandering thoughts

Hi All, 

I was diagnosed with ASD as an adult just a few years ago and I never understood why I have this issue. I don't have ADHD and I can focus on things well when at work but I have noticed once that structure is not in place, I have a very hard time being productive as if my days just flew by without doing much. My "daydreaming" is always the same thing, just repetitive thoughts, not something that helps me in any way and the worse I feel, the more time I need to spend in my autistic bubble. I guess it's a kind of coping mechanism. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. Is there a way to learn how to decrease the amount of time wasted on this?  

Parents
  • Put some personal structures in place.

I am the exact same person as you describe. I'm a practicing artist, and I do freelance work as well, that takes industry defined structures as you say. So when I'm not on those jobs I have my own process in place to remain semi on track.

It doesn't have to be restrictive, just progressive.

I use Airtable (it's Free) to log my To Do list, DIY jobs, things I want to apply for, and anniversaries I am likely to forget. Different lists for different reasons.

I have daily random ideas which I keep in notes on Evernote (I pay an annual subscription for) so these 'daydreams' are kept somewhere and I can use them in my art making.

I bet, if you started to log these daydreams in journal entries, you'd find your unconscious mind is repeatedly telling you something? Stearing you on a path you may be better suited for perhaps?

I'm fascinated by that journey tbh. A journey to authenticity

• Put some personal structures in place.

I am the exact same person as you describe. I'm a practicing artist, and I do freelance work as well, that takes industry defined structures as you say. So when I'm not on those jobs I have my own process in place to remain semi on track.

It doesn't have to be restrictive, just progressive.

I use Airtable (it's Free) to log my To Do list, DIY jobs, things I want to apply for, and anniversaries I am likely to forget. Different lists for different reasons.

I have daily random ideas which I keep in notes on Evernote (I pay an annual subscription for) so these 'daydreams' are kept somewhere and I can use them in my art making.

I bet, if you started to log these daydreams in journal entries, you'd find your unconscious mind is repeatedly telling you something? Stearing you on a path you may be better suited for perhaps?

I'm fascinated by that journey tbh. A journey to authenticity

Children
No Data