Excessive daydreaming/wandering thoughts

Hi All, 

I was diagnosed with ASD as an adult just a few years ago and I never understood why I have this issue. I don't have ADHD and I can focus on things well when at work but I have noticed once that structure is not in place, I have a very hard time being productive as if my days just flew by without doing much. My "daydreaming" is always the same thing, just repetitive thoughts, not something that helps me in any way and the worse I feel, the more time I need to spend in my autistic bubble. I guess it's a kind of coping mechanism. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. Is there a way to learn how to decrease the amount of time wasted on this?  

Parents
  • Hello NAS67092,

I’ve been doing the same thing. I’m not so bad when I’m at work. But I’m one of the many people that have been furloughed, so I’ve been off for five weeks now. I find that I hardly do anything of a day/night other than sit or lay around thinking all day. Usually the same repetitive thoughts that I probably wouldn’t be doing if I was occupied. I go for my daily walk, but that’s about it. The weird thing is though, I’m not actually bored. I guess it’s because I’m used to overthinking about things, plus I’m not a sociable person anyway, so apart from me not working, my life hasn’t changed much. Sorry I cannot offer you any advice like you’ve asked for. But I just wanted to say that I am in the same boat. Take care Slight smile

• Hello NAS67092,

I’ve been doing the same thing. I’m not so bad when I’m at work. But I’m one of the many people that have been furloughed, so I’ve been off for five weeks now. I find that I hardly do anything of a day/night other than sit or lay around thinking all day. Usually the same repetitive thoughts that I probably wouldn’t be doing if I was occupied. I go for my daily walk, but that’s about it. The weird thing is though, I’m not actually bored. I guess it’s because I’m used to overthinking about things, plus I’m not a sociable person anyway, so apart from me not working, my life hasn’t changed much. Sorry I cannot offer you any advice like you’ve asked for. But I just wanted to say that I am in the same boat. Take care Slight smile

Children
No Data