Student finance help

Hello

Has anyone had success applying for student finance - especially the disabled student allowance? My son was diagnosed as Asperger's aged 5 and since then had no professional contact as we have just got on with life. It's clear university will bring huge changes and he is going to need help once there - he's moving approx 3.5 hours journey away. 

Student finance say they need a professional letter stating how his autism affects him day to day. 

Any advice gratefully received.

Parents
  • I would advise going to see your GP. SFE will often accept a GP letter stating a diagnosis. It's important to apply for DSA because it will provide weekly mentoring and potentially study skills support. Have you contacted the University he's applied to as they may have an induction programme for new starters with ASD? 

• I would advise going to see your GP. SFE will often accept a GP letter stating a diagnosis. It's important to apply for DSA because it will provide weekly mentoring and potentially study skills support. Have you contacted the University he's applied to as they may have an induction programme for new starters with ASD? 

Children
  • Thank you for your reply. The GP surgery has said it can confirm the diagnosis but they cannot say what his difficulties are as they haven't experience if him. I am worried as the DSA application asks how it affects him. I will contact the university (Chester) to ask about transition, but I fear at the moment things are a bit up in the air!

I do like the idea of him having weekly mentoring.