How is everyone coping with the current changes?

Like most with autism I dont like change and I am finding everything really overwhelming and was wondering how others were coping?

It may seem daft but I am not worried about catching it, well obviously I don’t want to catch it but I am not anxious and thinking that I am going to catch it. It’s the lockdown and lack of routine that is sending me mad. I have my set routines and now I have to stay in I cant follow my weekly routines and this is what is causing me the stress. I do feel like your going to think I am being selfish as all I have to do is stay at home and others are putting their lives at risk, I just cant snap out of it.

A few years ago I had bit of a breakdown when things changed too much and it made me really ill, I am worried this may happen again, I live on my own and am really considering ignoring all the rules and just getting out of here but I no that is wrong and I think the stress of breaking the rules would then cause me an issue.

maybe I am over reacting, what is everybody else doing to get through this?, anybody else struggling too?

Parents
  • Hi. I'm really struggling with it too - everything feels very strange at the moment. I made myself a weekly lockdown timetable to try and build some structure back into my life. it includes time for relaxation; creative pursuits; exercise (although I skip this a lot!); 'free time' (where I do whatever I feel like); housework/cleaning; 'life admin' (like sorting car insurance or doing my emails); and work. I do have to be careful that I don't get stressed if I feel I'm not following the routine (e.g. if I'd planned to do housework but need to rest instead), but I am finding it's useful to look at if I'm not sure what to do with myself.

I'm just focusing on taking each day at a time, looking after my mental health and physical health as best I can. I had a really bad meltdown and felt exhausted today, so I had a long nap to try and recover, and that's helped a little.

You're not overreacting at all - it's challenging for everyone at the moment, but I think it's particularly hard for people like us, who already struggle with uncertainty and change.

• Hi. I'm really struggling with it too - everything feels very strange at the moment. I made myself a weekly lockdown timetable to try and build some structure back into my life. it includes time for relaxation; creative pursuits; exercise (although I skip this a lot!); 'free time' (where I do whatever I feel like); housework/cleaning; 'life admin' (like sorting car insurance or doing my emails); and work. I do have to be careful that I don't get stressed if I feel I'm not following the routine (e.g. if I'd planned to do housework but need to rest instead), but I am finding it's useful to look at if I'm not sure what to do with myself.

I'm just focusing on taking each day at a time, looking after my mental health and physical health as best I can. I had a really bad meltdown and felt exhausted today, so I had a long nap to try and recover, and that's helped a little.

You're not overreacting at all - it's challenging for everyone at the moment, but I think it's particularly hard for people like us, who already struggle with uncertainty and change.

Children
No Data