Support is too difficult

I put an ad up for a support worker and the responses were pretty awful overall. People with either no experience or no interest in the line of work I was advertising applying. Not that many responses anyway. And I've taken someone on but I have OCD and this was made clear in the interview how I'm obsessive about cleanliness.

Anyway today while out with them on the first day they touched several hand rails while out and about. My impression is this means they don't understand OCD. Furthermore touching handrails during the Coronavirus crisis is even more dangerous as I've read the virus can stay on them for up to 72 hours.

I really do think this life is laughing at me. My mother and I spent months trying to get help, a long complaining process was involved. I took someone on perhaps too soon, because I was struggling so much to find someone despite placing an ad several times. I was worried the social worker would withdraw the funding I've been allocated.

It's all so complicated and stressful. Wish I knew what to do! Sorry for burdening you with it too.

• I like how you put that. :)  I won't feel I'm struggling after working with them a while.

• Thanks for that input Robert. If I advertise again I'm going to make the OCD one of the main points in the advert, really highlight it, maybe I will get someone then who has had it themselves. You're right, harder for people to understand it who haven't experienced it.

• I'll try not to be too demanding of them.  I need to try and have a bit of faith, I'm too suspicious that people aren't clean sometimes.

• The harsh truth with OCD is that to understand someone with it,  one has to experience it oneself.

I suffer from OCD,  depression,  anxiety, paranoia etc.

However, I am self aware and can control it up to a point. 

This gave me an advantage when I worked as a support worker with people with challenging behaviour. I was able to emphasise with them because I experienced similar thoughts and behaviour in my past.  And I understood what they were going through. 

You need someone who understands your anxieties because they have gone through something similar themselves.  Just beware that you don't get someone who is worse than you.

• My mum has OCD pretty bad. I'm less so. So things she worries about I dont so much. Although I'm aware and try to be mindful I will do things unintentionally. So dont be too hard on them

Regarding the ad sadly alot of people apply just to tick a box. I've worked hiring people and theres alot of people who just apply for any jobs so they can keep the job center happy! One guy even told me straight out thsts why he applied lol. This adds stress sadly as you have to wade through the fake applications

• its scary being around unfamiliar people, she may not be aware of your feelings. try to explain it to your social worker, give yourself time... its okay to struggle :)

• Very good call, will make  a huge difference

• Yes you're right I think. I need to give them a chance and make guidelines clear.

• I agree with Anthony. The care worker won't be an expert in you yet as they've only just met you. I understand that if one person has betrayed your trust, like your mother, it can be difficult to let people in but if you don't give people a chance then they'll never be able to show you what they capable of.

Have you sat down with this individual yet and gone through a clear set of guidelines, for example, about handrails or your bathroom? I'd imagine if you could write this down for the care worker this would be incredibly helpful.

• I definitely think communicating all this to them will help, as the more information they have about you, the more they can try to help. I think mutual understanding is the key here :)

• Yeah, that's a possibility, trying to explain it to them. The thing that worries me is I don't know if I can trust people around cleanliness. Even my mother who I love dearly has lied to me in the past about things like dropping food on the floor, then still using it. I think it's one of those things most people lie about.

I'm also dreading if they ask to use the bathroom if I let them inside. Why am I so effed up in the head.

• Maybe try explaining this to them - the thing is a lot of behaviours such as touching handrails are habitual so that person probably doesn’t think about it. I think calm and rational communication is the way forward. It’s a learning curve like any new job.