Austin adult son & Coronavirus fears

Hi, my son is 28 lives on his own with his dog and is struggling really badly with his anxiety due to the corona virus situation. I am his carer and visit him daily but with the lockdown it is getting more difficult as one way to keep him calm was to walk our dogs together. But now we cannot go out in my car to a deserted place to walk the dogs due to the rules of the lockdown. My son is having daily meltdowns now and I have asked his therapist to write me a letter explaining why I am out the house  in case I get stopped. He won’t come to my house. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• As far as I understand we're still entitled to walk dogs as part of our daily exercise allowance, but yeah I think we're required to stick to our local area (I'm in NI mind you, might be different where you are).  What I've been doing is taking my dogs out late at night or very early morning when there's nobody around.  If it doesn't cause too much upset to you or your son's routine it might be worth giving that a go.

• Well getting cater allowance is something to consider for the future anyhow, I think stuck to walking the dogs, just keep a small gap between you to comply with social distancing, but otherwise I’d say the key is to build stability and routine on a day to day basis, given that many with an ASD diagnosis have quite intense interests, it could be worthwhile building something around these. Just an idea anyhow - may not work but routine is definitely how I cope at tough times :)

• Thank you, yes we are in the uk his interests are playing on his xbox and listening to his music ( mainly Metallica & iron maiden etc) . I have just got a letter off his therapist to print off to show to anyone who stops us when we are out so hopefully that will help.  I don’t get carer allowance only my National insurance paid. 

• I think in part routine may help, so it’s about gently trying to create a new one he can adhere to. Easier said than done I appreciate, but creating a sense of stability during uncertain times will help. Without knowing him and his likes, dislikes and traits etc its hard to be specific, but that would be a starting point. Distraction techniques can be good too, again these would need to be specific to him. As a pointer, assuming you are in the UK and the UK rule applies, as a career I believe you are still entitled to carry out your duties and if that includes therapeutic activity essential to wellbeing I’d imagine you are safe to continue doing what you were doing. If you get a career allowance, maybe print something from your benefits account which evidences that you are a carer in case you are challenged.