I’m confused and not sure what to do next

My 23 year old son has had problems throughout his school time. Called in by teacher when he was 6 I was told he was staring and nnot following instruction. The GP referred and since then  rollercoaster of is it Petit Mal epilepsy or absenting. This went on and offf, usually as each new school showed concerned. He was a quiet boy with a few friends. At 17 they said not epilepsy. At 18 at uni they said he was dyslexic and that was why he was blanking, brain overload. Too many questions and too many people. Struggled at uni. Worked for a year on nights so he didn’t see many people, started Open Uni which works at the moment well until there was an online forum

So he 

struggles with friends . Same friendship group since 3.

Blanks and stares and does not respond

seen by OT for clumsiness and was diagnosed with hyper mobility

Has meltdowns followed by tears and  apologises

Continually looks at the floor and bounces his leg and picks his fingers

is nocturnal - people avoidance 

specific interest in physics and complicated maths,

short term memory issues all the way through

is either asleep, shut in a room studying or with-his group of friends but only in one of their houses. 

Tried  several anti depressants for his anxiety 

Went to counselling but only managed twice as couldn’t do the face to face 

came home every week end from uni and always lived with same people.

struggles with times and organisation 

I’m wondering if this all fits into a diagnosis of autism some how.  I know it’s late at 23 but he has had signs all along.

any advice. I want to help him x

• I can hear how difficult it's been for him and you. As a parent it must be hard to see.

When he sees the doctor ensure he or she takes proper note and attention of your son's actions. That should be enough for them to start the diagnosis problem. If not then see a different doctor one who will take him seriously.

If you need anything at all just ask :)

• To be honest I have almost dragging him to the doctor as he feels he’s had years of getting no where. He’s not good at the face to face. When he did go to counselling he ended up telling them what they wanted to hear so he didn’t upset her.

its hard to hear him say he’s rather be awake when everyone else is asleep to avoid communication. 

so many things fit together. Absencing, hyper mobile, dyslexic, a loner, shy. All I can do is speak out with him 

thanks again 

• I know booking an appointment is only a small thing but at least it’s a step forward in the right direction.

I can hear how he’s been struggling his whole life so far. I did as well and from what I’ve read here that’s been the same case for a lot on the spectrum. The good thing is that you will be able to get him help in the real world as well as online. Have you looked at any support groups you may be able to take him to as in when you can?

Being understood when you have autism is difficult but not impossible. So far I’ve found a lot of understanding online but not a lot in the real world.

• Thank you I have booked an appointment. It just seems that all his life he has been struggling, although not academically once they found he needs everything on paper, but more so with himself. Uni was a mistake as I think I never heard all the struggles until it all went wrong. I just want him to be understood. With each meltdown, although not that often, comes more explanations of how he feels and struggles. It’s more than misunderstood as he doesn’t understand himself.
    Many thanks
  • A lot of that sounds like autism but the only way to know for sure is to have him tested. Also 23 isn't too late of a diagnosis. I've been to autism support groups and have seen men and women over 50 with autism. So you aren't that late yet. It sounds like he is in a lot of distress and displays several autism symptoms so take him to see the gp and they can help you get him diagnosed.