Autism, self analysis, regret, anxiety and distress. Suicide risk

As a psychology doctor I do find I analyse the reasons people choose what to write on this forum and a recurrent theme with virtually every post is distressed self analysis.

As autistic people we do have some 10 years shorter life expectancy than average with a very high suicide rate and I feel the main reason is our self analysis, regret and distress, coupled with our difficulty in pursuing and reinforcing enjoyment and fun.

Todays church bible reading was relevant

Matthew 6:25-27  “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”

what do you think?  How can we best improve our daily living?

Parents
  • ...Sorry, Me again. I just noticed that "Sui-cide risk" was separate from the rest of the list in that Title. If this is the point, then just say so then explain. I would say not to keep changing Your own goals; that is, once acheiving something, then stick to whatever makes You happy/strong/empowered. Do not let anyone else sway Your own feelings (not even Me...?) and focus upon Your own strengths and What You feel You Know best to do. It is not selfish, it is self-defence, and after that You may consider others. The saying goes that if You cannot help Yourself then You cannot help other people, really...

I had better leave off, now, this is turning into a monologue. Good Luck anyway.

• ...Sorry, Me again. I just noticed that "Sui-cide risk" was separate from the rest of the list in that Title. If this is the point, then just say so then explain. I would say not to keep changing Your own goals; that is, once acheiving something, then stick to whatever makes You happy/strong/empowered. Do not let anyone else sway Your own feelings (not even Me...?) and focus upon Your own strengths and What You feel You Know best to do. It is not selfish, it is self-defence, and after that You may consider others. The saying goes that if You cannot help Yourself then You cannot help other people, really...

I had better leave off, now, this is turning into a monologue. Good Luck anyway.

Children
No Data