Adult Diagnosis Process

Today my husband had an appointment with the GP to make a referral for an autism assessment. My husband discussed with the doctor why he thinks he may have autism and why he would like to be referred. The doctor told my husband that he would need to attend around 6 counselling sessions. The program is called IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies). Which is aimed at people who suffer with depression, stress and anxiety. The doctor stated that my husband wouldn’t be able to be referred for a diagnosis unless he attends these counselling sessions.  

Is it normal practice for patients with suspected autism to be referred for counselling sessions prior to being referred for an autism diagnosis? 

Parents
  • In Wales, you can now self-refer to the Integrated Autism Service. I was originally referred, before that service started, by a mental health nurse who unexpectedly suggested I have Asperger's (although I'd already been working it out for myself), and immediately went to get the forms to do an initial assessment to pass to the previous autism service. This resulted in almost immediately being put on the waiting list.

So it seems that what hoops, if any, you have to jump through, depend on where you live. Maybe it even depends on the surgery or particular doctor, but that's just a guess.

• In Wales, you can now self-refer to the Integrated Autism Service. I was originally referred, before that service started, by a mental health nurse who unexpectedly suggested I have Asperger's (although I'd already been working it out for myself), and immediately went to get the forms to do an initial assessment to pass to the previous autism service. This resulted in almost immediately being put on the waiting list.

So it seems that what hoops, if any, you have to jump through, depend on where you live. Maybe it even depends on the surgery or particular doctor, but that's just a guess.

Children
  • Thank you for your response. Unfortunately in our area  the Adult Autism and Neurodevelopmental Service do not accept self referrals. After a little research we have discovered that the service does accept gp referrals.  It appears that the doctor had very little knowledge about the Autism spectrum, as he asked what ASD was.