Recently Diagnosed/ Shame/ Guilt PANIC :( help.

I have recently been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I'm 25, so it was a bit of a shock to find this out so late, it's something that i have considered now for a few years, but as I have my friends and interests and was getting by I didn't feel it was important.

Until things seemed to get harder and harder, and I just felt more and more alienated and lonely and mainly a lack of understanding/misunderstanding, towards the way people behave. I'm quite a sensitive person and this is something that has got in the way of loads of things

I hate being so negative but I feel ashamed of it, ' autism ' and I am worried that my friends and family and the world, in general, will view me differently ( although I've chosen to keep it to myself mainly, I don't know if this is the best approach feeling the level of shame and anxiety I do.

At the moment I'm in denial and I just wish I could wish it away, but in the same breath I don't because I feel it makes me who I am too, I love art and music and poetry and view the world in a very artistic and abstract way due to these wonderful interests that im fortunate to have.

I want to feel like I can talk to people without panicking ( because I LOVE people ) and I have always accepted them for their differences and loved them for it, so it's hard with having a past of being called 'weird ' and ' a bit odd ' to have faith in humanity currently!

Can anybody offer me any advice?

Parents
  • Welcome to the forum. It is a common experience to go through a range of emotions about a possible or actual diagnosis. It is part of processing this new reality.

Of course there is absolutely no need to feel ashamed and there is nothing shameful about autism. But it is absolutely important to validate and recognise your emotions.

For most people the diagnosis is the beginning of re conceptualising there life and pushing back ableist conceptions about disabilities. 

Take a look at the "Relief, grief and belief" video on this page as it really explored all the emotions after the diagnosis. https://ndsa.uk/content/just-diagnosed-now-what/

• Welcome to the forum. It is a common experience to go through a range of emotions about a possible or actual diagnosis. It is part of processing this new reality.

Of course there is absolutely no need to feel ashamed and there is nothing shameful about autism. But it is absolutely important to validate and recognise your emotions.

For most people the diagnosis is the beginning of re conceptualising there life and pushing back ableist conceptions about disabilities. 

Take a look at the "Relief, grief and belief" video on this page as it really explored all the emotions after the diagnosis. https://ndsa.uk/content/just-diagnosed-now-what/

Children
No Data