Recently Diagnosed/ Shame/ Guilt PANIC :( help.

I have recently been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I'm 25, so it was a bit of a shock to find this out so late, it's something that i have considered now for a few years, but as I have my friends and interests and was getting by I didn't feel it was important.

Until things seemed to get harder and harder, and I just felt more and more alienated and lonely and mainly a lack of understanding/misunderstanding, towards the way people behave. I'm quite a sensitive person and this is something that has got in the way of loads of things

I hate being so negative but I feel ashamed of it, ' autism ' and I am worried that my friends and family and the world, in general, will view me differently ( although I've chosen to keep it to myself mainly, I don't know if this is the best approach feeling the level of shame and anxiety I do.

At the moment I'm in denial and I just wish I could wish it away, but in the same breath I don't because I feel it makes me who I am too, I love art and music and poetry and view the world in a very artistic and abstract way due to these wonderful interests that im fortunate to have.

I want to feel like I can talk to people without panicking ( because I LOVE people ) and I have always accepted them for their differences and loved them for it, so it's hard with having a past of being called 'weird ' and ' a bit odd ' to have faith in humanity currently!

Can anybody offer me any advice?

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the forum! I have been diagnosed with Level 2 ASD. Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

You have absolutely no reason to be ashamed.

Before I was diagnosed, I had suspected that I had some sort of underlying condition. That's why when I was diagnosed last year, it didn't come as a surprise.

It's up to you whether or not you wish to disclose it. Generally, I only disclose it when I apply for jobs.

Remember, all you have is a condition that makes you see the world differently to others.

• Hello and welcome to the forum! I have been diagnosed with Level 2 ASD. Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

You have absolutely no reason to be ashamed.

Before I was diagnosed, I had suspected that I had some sort of underlying condition. That's why when I was diagnosed last year, it didn't come as a surprise.

It's up to you whether or not you wish to disclose it. Generally, I only disclose it when I apply for jobs.

Remember, all you have is a condition that makes you see the world differently to others.

Children
No Data