Feeling Very Discouraged

So I volunteer in a charity shop and have done so since last Autumn. After a lot of asking about studying a qualification with them since they offer NVQs, I found out that I was due to start one later this month or early next month. Don’t get me wrong, I love studying but only if the environment is right and supportive about it.

Over the last few weeks, I’ve found myself being constantly criticised for just about anything. From not printing out gift aid labels on the shop floor (I would normally send those to the next floor, since the office has the means to do it there) to being asked to sort through some boxed donations (which I did alone) and then being told I shouldn’t have been the one to sort them and don’t touch anything again!

I’m really disappointed it’s come to this, since the charity have paid for me to start the NVQ. However, I’m very discouraged and in a bleak place. I’m unemployed and not able to work, struggle with depression and anxiety attacks and can easily become disjointed with living in general. Apart from being at the shop, I only see my parents and my boyfriend since no one else wants to spend time with me. I mean, I’m autistic, so to them I’m a liability.

Is there a way forward for me? Can life be kind and nice for once at least? After this, I generally don’t think so! Should I walk away and give up?

Parents
  • I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. I can see you've been given some great advice here already, so I'll try not to repeat too much of what's already been said. 

It may be that work improves with a bit of time, but if it doesn't, you should always put your wellbeing first. In the meantime, it's definitely worth trying to get some support with your mental health. I've been through therapy for anxiety and OCD, and it's made a huge difference to me.

I'd suggest sticking it out a little longer (e.g. a couple of weeks), but keep looking for other opportunities in the meantime. There will be other ways of studying and volunteering if this place isn't supportive enough.

• I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. I can see you've been given some great advice here already, so I'll try not to repeat too much of what's already been said. 

It may be that work improves with a bit of time, but if it doesn't, you should always put your wellbeing first. In the meantime, it's definitely worth trying to get some support with your mental health. I've been through therapy for anxiety and OCD, and it's made a huge difference to me.

I'd suggest sticking it out a little longer (e.g. a couple of weeks), but keep looking for other opportunities in the meantime. There will be other ways of studying and volunteering if this place isn't supportive enough.

Children
No Data