Getting diagnosed on the NHS

Hi I am Rob and I am 50 and think I am autistic and was wondering about getting a diagnosis. I have booked a GP's appointment to start the process. On the A50 test I got 40 so there is a good prospect of me being diagnosed. I must admit the older I get the more mental issues I come up againt.

I have some very strong indicators, particually perfering things to people and being odsessive about those things. I am an obsessive plane spotter and would rather spend a week doing that than going on holiday with my wife. I didn't have children by choice because I knew I would not cope.Yet some traits I do not have, like I always get jokes and sarcasam.

I have a wife of 15 years and have always had a job. Although god knows how I have been married that long. I now get why my wife says that I say things in a wrong, or upsetting, way, to me I am just saying something, but not in a certian way.  I think getting a diagnosis would give me some closure on why I am like I am.

Would be interested to know about your NHS diagnosis experiences

Rob

Parents
  • Hi Rob, I have just joined this site and was pleased to see your post as it is very close to my own situation.

I got a 43 on the test, though some things don't match at all, like being good with numbers. It is the social inadequacy which has done most damage to my life - I am 52 and have come through a year dealing with NHS mental health, but I had to diagnose myself and present to them arguing my case, trouble is I had no idea what is wrong with me so I went with Bipolar to account for hallucinations (explained by hypnogogia) and long term obsessive highs focusing on a single task, which I have been able to maintain for years at a time - I have written novels and poetry, hundreds and thousands of words churned out at the expense of actual life, and since I haven't recently been able to maintain the delusion that I'm any good, having taken some years to read between the lines of what my few readers were telling me, since then I am in a bad way for not having my obsession to fall back on.

Well, the original doctor wasn't convinced, but the 2nd one put me on all the meds for Bipolar, and I ended up feeling very unwell and depressed. 

It was the Swedish activist saying she has Aspergers which got me looking into it, and then I start reading up on ASD and next thing you know I am seeing somewhat of a match, although childhood is hard to properly recollect, so I don't know if I would be diagnosed, of even what the point of  diagnosis would be. 

Except to finally know what is wrong with me, and so explain my inexplicable life, lol.

Well, best of luck, Rob, with that path. As for me, today I rang the NHS doctor and left a message that I think I've been misdiagnosed, and please help as I am currently plagued with anxiety and depression, but have not called back yet.

I will be interested to hear how it goes with your doctor. I am in the UK.

• Hi Rob, I have just joined this site and was pleased to see your post as it is very close to my own situation.

I got a 43 on the test, though some things don't match at all, like being good with numbers. It is the social inadequacy which has done most damage to my life - I am 52 and have come through a year dealing with NHS mental health, but I had to diagnose myself and present to them arguing my case, trouble is I had no idea what is wrong with me so I went with Bipolar to account for hallucinations (explained by hypnogogia) and long term obsessive highs focusing on a single task, which I have been able to maintain for years at a time - I have written novels and poetry, hundreds and thousands of words churned out at the expense of actual life, and since I haven't recently been able to maintain the delusion that I'm any good, having taken some years to read between the lines of what my few readers were telling me, since then I am in a bad way for not having my obsession to fall back on.

Well, the original doctor wasn't convinced, but the 2nd one put me on all the meds for Bipolar, and I ended up feeling very unwell and depressed. 

It was the Swedish activist saying she has Aspergers which got me looking into it, and then I start reading up on ASD and next thing you know I am seeing somewhat of a match, although childhood is hard to properly recollect, so I don't know if I would be diagnosed, of even what the point of  diagnosis would be. 

Except to finally know what is wrong with me, and so explain my inexplicable life, lol.

Well, best of luck, Rob, with that path. As for me, today I rang the NHS doctor and left a message that I think I've been misdiagnosed, and please help as I am currently plagued with anxiety and depression, but have not called back yet.

I will be interested to hear how it goes with your doctor. I am in the UK.

Children
No Data