What does your Autism mean to you?

Everyone experiences things differently, of that there is no doubt. I’d like to gain other people’s perspectives, to gain other people’s view on the neurotype which we have in common, Autism. Perhaps through sharing, we can gain insight and help each other, or perhaps it might just be cathartic for people to share, in any case:
What does your Autism mean to you? 

I’ll start by conveying what my Autism means to me:

My Autism means freedom, from expectations of fitting in with the majority of people. My Autism means that I’ve forgiven myself for being different/odd/weird. I am as I am, as long as I kind and caring towards others to the best of my ability then that is good enough for me. I do not need other people’s approval for the way my brain functions.

My Autism means that I’ve finally found where I belong. My diagnosis has opened up a world of other autistic people who ‘get it’, who I can speak with on the same level. It was of course, a world that was always there, I just didn’t realise that I belonged before.

My Autism means I have a unique insight into how my youngest daughter’s mind works (nearly 3, also Autistic, still pre-verbal). It means that I can read her, translate her non-verbal communication (which too be fair she’s pro at) into verbal communication for those that don’t understand her. My Autism means that I can advocate for her, with ‘inside knowledge’ to family, nursery staff, professionals, etc.

My Autism means that I can advocate for other Autistic people. At support groups for parents of Autistic children; When my Autistic friends are struggling to get to appointments or do other tasks.

My Autism means that I‘ve found a purpose building community within the Autistic population. It led me to start my group for other autistic women in my local area. Because members of any tribe  are stronger together as opposed to being dotted around on their own. Through this group I also learn about a lot of resources for both autistic adults and children and I signpost people who I meet, whether it is the lonely autistic adult who needs to find a social group or the parent who doesn’t know what to do to help their child.
I’d love to be able to take this whole advocacy thing further actually, to be able to make more of a difference to the access to resources for autistic people but this at present is just an idea.....

Parents
  • Hiya Kitsune, 

Like some others, I'm still finding my feet but have a little to offer.

I have that freedom from expectation now. The family is still not quite with it yet and still suggest I do things that I never would tackle or will tackle. But I just say no now without feeling I have to give a reason. Interestingly, I've had two incidents of conflict in the last couple of weeks; one at work and one in public. I've not changed- I still can't find words to express myself under pressure and very much suffer from passive aggressive behaviour, but what has changed is how quicker I get over the conflict. Forgiving myself :) 

I'm aware of support groups in my area but I haven't made any moves towards joining them. Likewise, I'm aware of people at work who are on the spectrum (and some who are probably undiagnosed and definately show traits) but I haven't made any moves. I'm still in a tizzy really and don't want to push myself yet. Same goes with books on the subject. Being in an academic library I have access to a lot of material. I take them out but I don't make headway with them. Just shut down.

• Hiya! 

We're all still finding our feet :-)

It's good that you also feel free from expectation and more able to say no. Sorry to hear that you had conflict at work! I'm glad that you were able to get over it quicker though. More self forgiveness, I like it :-)

I'm sure that when the time is right for you, you will be able to reach out to others on the Spectrum. It seems like you've got some processing that you need to do first though? Personally I get so much out of running a group for autistic women. I feel good that I'm helping others and I enjoy the friendship of other Autistic women, being able to be friends with people who I can be myself with and not worry that they think I'm weird. Plus it's a project  to focus on, which is always good!

• Excellent. Your group I'm sure will be a good benefit for all. How many in your group? Did you already have connections to others in the group?

• :) That's great to read. There must be lots of these little independent setups around doing lots of good work and getting people together. I think I'd prefer that informal arrnagement than an organization. Coffee Shop arrangement is even better :) 

• :) That's great to read. There must be lots of these little independent setups around doing lots of good work and getting people together. I think I'd prefer that informal arrnagement than an organization. Coffee Shop arrangement is even better :) 

Children
No Data