What does your Autism mean to you?

Everyone experiences things differently, of that there is no doubt. I’d like to gain other people’s perspectives, to gain other people’s view on the neurotype which we have in common, Autism. Perhaps through sharing, we can gain insight and help each other, or perhaps it might just be cathartic for people to share, in any case:
What does your Autism mean to you? 

I’ll start by conveying what my Autism means to me:

My Autism means freedom, from expectations of fitting in with the majority of people. My Autism means that I’ve forgiven myself for being different/odd/weird. I am as I am, as long as I kind and caring towards others to the best of my ability then that is good enough for me. I do not need other people’s approval for the way my brain functions.

My Autism means that I’ve finally found where I belong. My diagnosis has opened up a world of other autistic people who ‘get it’, who I can speak with on the same level. It was of course, a world that was always there, I just didn’t realise that I belonged before.

My Autism means I have a unique insight into how my youngest daughter’s mind works (nearly 3, also Autistic, still pre-verbal). It means that I can read her, translate her non-verbal communication (which too be fair she’s pro at) into verbal communication for those that don’t understand her. My Autism means that I can advocate for her, with ‘inside knowledge’ to family, nursery staff, professionals, etc.

My Autism means that I can advocate for other Autistic people. At support groups for parents of Autistic children; When my Autistic friends are struggling to get to appointments or do other tasks.

My Autism means that I‘ve found a purpose building community within the Autistic population. It led me to start my group for other autistic women in my local area. Because members of any tribe  are stronger together as opposed to being dotted around on their own. Through this group I also learn about a lot of resources for both autistic adults and children and I signpost people who I meet, whether it is the lonely autistic adult who needs to find a social group or the parent who doesn’t know what to do to help their child.
I’d love to be able to take this whole advocacy thing further actually, to be able to make more of a difference to the access to resources for autistic people but this at present is just an idea.....

Parents
  • It's really hard to try and sum up what autism means to me (especially since I'm still working that out for myself), but I'll give it a try :)

For me, autism means I'm not afraid to be unique. I've always known I'm different (even before I realised why that was), so as the years have gone on, I've learnt not to worry what people think about me. As long as I'm a good person with good intentions, it doesn't matter if people think I'm a little bit weird :)

It means I fully commit myself to the things I care about, whether that's my partner, my family, my friends, or my hobbies (especially if they're a special interest!). I'm loyal and have a strong sense of justice. I know how it feels to be an outsider, so I stand up for what's right and do what I can to take care of people. Sometimes, I over-commit and forget to take care of myself, so I'm working on finding that balance.

Autism often means that it's hard for me to function day-to-day. I'm not great at crossing the road, sensory issues make everyday tasks like shopping incredibly tiring, and I often find it hard to achieve the tasks I need to get through. However, despite all this, I keep moving forward and I work hard.

This community has helped me understand myself so much better, and it's incredibly cathartic to share experiences with people who understand. I hope others find it just as helpful :)

• I’m glad that you also find that your autism makes it easier to not worry what people think of you Slight smile and exactly! As long as my actions and words are done and said with the best of intentions then I will not feel bad if someone thinks that I am odd/weird/stupid because if my words/actions.

Oh yes! I know what you mean about fully committing to things. If I am doing something then I am doing it 100% or not at all. Over commitment also resonates with me. Also need to find a balance. Also working on it!

Autism (and a Brain injury) does mean that I struggle with certain things. But realising that I’m autistic has made it ok for me to admit that I need help. That’s not to say that I’ve given up on living my life to the absolute best of my ability, because I haven’t. It just means that I have accepted and am more willing to seek out help to allow me to achieve what I want to achieve rather than struggling on alone with things.

This community is great for sharing experiences with other autistic adults and it’s always so incredibly validating when someone else says ‘yeah, me too!’. 

• It takes a strong person to ask for help, but it's worth it if it helps you live your life to the fullest Slight smile

Reply Children
No Data