How to deal with obsessions

Hi everyone 

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this , but I find that I can get obsessed with something very easily , for example if I like an idea then I will think obsessively about how to go about it , research it etc. I find I have multiple obsessions at the same time which are constantly going round in my head which makes me exhausted, trying to figure out how to do my obsessions , for example planning a trip away or funding an activity. 

I tend to also get bored quickly so my obsessions can fizzle out in a matter of days/weeks , but some go on for months. Does anyone else experience this too? 

any advice would be greatly appreciated :) 

Parents
  • I have an obsession to measure everything to try to 'solve' and reason it out.     

I've thought about obsessions (a lot!) and I see them born of an active mind that is frustrated by the random world around them.    

An obsession allows the mind to take control of the chaos and focus on one small part so the active mind can indulge itself learning everything there is to know about the subject of the focus.   This gives the mind extreme control over it's own stimulation so there's lots of joy to be extracted in the short term.      The filtering of the chaos allows the mind to 'relax' in the clarity of the focus.

Once you've gathered as much of the interesting data as possible, it becomes boring so you lose interest - the noise of the chaos starts to bother you again so you need a new obsession to blot out the unpleasant noise.

I would suggest that obsessions on inanimate things like trains or cars etc. are no problem - it's all data gathering.

Obsessions about people can be a problem if you lack self-judgement and don't know when you are being inappropriate.

That's my theory based on personal experience.

• I have an obsession to measure everything to try to 'solve' and reason it out.     

I've thought about obsessions (a lot!) and I see them born of an active mind that is frustrated by the random world around them.    

An obsession allows the mind to take control of the chaos and focus on one small part so the active mind can indulge itself learning everything there is to know about the subject of the focus.   This gives the mind extreme control over it's own stimulation so there's lots of joy to be extracted in the short term.      The filtering of the chaos allows the mind to 'relax' in the clarity of the focus.

Once you've gathered as much of the interesting data as possible, it becomes boring so you lose interest - the noise of the chaos starts to bother you again so you need a new obsession to blot out the unpleasant noise.

I would suggest that obsessions on inanimate things like trains or cars etc. are no problem - it's all data gathering.

Obsessions about people can be a problem if you lack self-judgement and don't know when you are being inappropriate.

That's my theory based on personal experience.

Children