Autistic and Homeless for 13 years. Looking for advice/people's experiences

Hi I'm Craig,

I'm really new here, and a massive Doctor Who fan!! Slight smile

So I would like to tell people about my short backstory, then current homelessness situation, and maybe get some signposting or help. I will keep it short so nobody gets too bored!!

So I'm 28.
at 13 I was diagnosed with Autism. At 15 I left home due to domestic violence (my dad had a hard childhood himself and thought he could toughen the special needs out of me)

I went to the council at 15 to get help, and they put me in "emergency overnight accomodation"(EOA).
Back then if you were in EOA for 8 weeks you were classed a section 21 "careleaver", and got help until you were 25. (now the laws changed a bit).

Anyway, after 7 weeks they transfered me to a private owned hostel so the council didnt have responsibility anymore and didnt have to give me care leaver status. As soon as I was 18 they evicted me;
So I was back on the streets and failed my last year of College due to all this drama - leaving me with no formal education.

I spent the next 9 years homeless, sleeping in church yards, park benches etc. then showering in leisure centre and studying in the library during the day.(i've always kept a moral code, dont steal, - kept myself tidy - keep trying to learn etc.)

sometimes i was finding odd work doing carpentry, barwork, or office work. but each time the autism made me not get on with people and be asked to resign or move on very early on once my awkward social demeanour became apparent.

I Approached council a few times in that time but each time they said Autism doesn't mean i have priority need and i went back out into the streets.

Fast forward to 2014 I got into quite a bad relationship. my partner was very abusive to me; emotionally, psychologically, and physically. I am very small and gentle and didnt ever hit back or get aggressive. I learnt in childhood that just makes things worse.

I'm ashamed to say i ignored the warning signs and she got pregnant after we'd known each other 2 months. thats when things started getting really bad. just being really cold and blaming me for every tiny thing, then whenever they were the slightest bit nice to me i'd be so starved of affection i'd forgive them desperately and do anything to try and keep them happy again.

they told me that if we both went to the council they wouldn't give us a council flat, and i had to stay off the books.
(my fault for believing it i guess, turns out that was just a lie)
so my partner moved to a council house and i moved with them - but was off all the paperwork.

I got a job for an insurance company as the baby was born, and gave the mum over £2000 from my wages/income which she said she needed in cash else their benefits would be stopped. later they denied me ever giving it to them; something which has happened many times since.

the bullying kept getting worse and it really broke my heart watching my dream of having a happy family slowly descdending into hell. and with my name not on the house i was living constantly under the threat of being kicked out for the night as punishment. something which was used on me as punishment a lot, and still has left emotional scars on our child to this day - constantly seeing daddy getting torn out of your arms and sent away.

I eventually left when it got too much, but then went back to being homeless.

(sorry for all that backstory)

I went to the council.

they put me in temporary accomodation, and then today phoned and have said my autism isn't going to mean im in priority need

Now I'm really disheartened because i'm finding it really hard to find anyone to help with legal advice for my housing situation. or even if i should have priority status. 

I'm also upset the 'need assesment' they carried out paraphrased my words and made out i didn't have problems with things i actually have genuine problems with.

I got a call yesterday saying that I wouldn't be offered a settled place to live,
my housing officer says my only option is to move to a "supported accomodation".
i've had a look online and looks horrible scary and dangerous.
a large set of houses split into small single rooms mainly for people with drug and alcohol problems, people out of prison, they said it was not safe for children to visit as they can't verify what the people released from prison are there for.
and if i refuse this place i have to leave the temporary accommodation and go back to being street homeless.

I have already been assaulted twice here in temporary accomodation by people released from prison, as i stand out as vulnerable and a target.
I love my child and i would never be able to or want to have my child spend time with me somewhere so dangerous.

I really don't know what to do, i'm in over my head.
im sorry i sound so feeble in this post. I want to get my confidence back, and rebuild my life, but i've just had the fight worn out of me. I need a change so i can start building myself towards being the dad i always wished i'd had. not an under-foot figure who cant stand up for himself.

thank you for listening to my situation, and if you have any information or advice it would really help me so much.

Happy new year everyone!

nice to meet you all!

Personal_Space

• My research and findings, on applying to council with autism, in the hope it is useful to others in similar situation:

My understanding is:

Autism is considered a mental disorder

Under the Autism Act (2009) [revised 2015] and the Care Act (2014) I should have been given:

• A diagnosis pathway assessment must be carried out
    • A social Care Assesment must be carried out by a social worker assesment 
    • An assessment of needs must be carried out by an expert or experienced professionsl

Local authority guidelines on autism strategy:

Local Authorities must: • Ensure that any person carrying out a needs assessment under the Care Act 2014 has the skills, knowledge and competence to carry out the assessment in question and is appropriately trained. Where the assessor does not have experience in the condition, the local authority must ensure that a person with that expertise is consulted.” - NICE Quality Standard on autism (2014) http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs51

It seems my assessment was carried out as a “same day assessment” by a housing officer who I doubt has expert knowledge of autism, as most of the things I’ve said to him he paraphrased and took a completely different meaning from writing what he thought i was saying, not what i said.
    [example: I told him every day I forget to eat. I don’t eat unless I’m prompted to, and when I do eat I will only eat one thing at 9 pm]
    “client can do shopping and cook for himself and maintain his own neutrition] (being prompted is a criteria, which i was not asked about, also i cannot shop and cook for myself, i cannot regulate or judge time and am distracted easily]

I asked my housing officer if an assesment act 2009 needs assesment had been carried out, (as I know they have not), and his response was to lie and say “we have carried out an assessment, and that was why you are being , to supported housing” which is sort of a question dodge really.

under the ‘Homeless (priority need for accommodation) [England] order 2002’

• Under the guidelines set out in Paragraph 13-8.18:
    • Under 18(b): I have a mental illness/learning disability
    • Under 15: I am more vulnerable than an ordinary person if I were to be made homeless [as mentioned I have been attacked twice since moving here, and on the streets I was attacked much more frequently, had things stolen from me a lot more as it is a dog eat dog world out there, and I cannot sense danger, and am kind natured. Other homeless people see that and take advantage.]
    • Under 16: I receive no support from friends or family, and the support I receive from SWIFT is middling at best

Quote from ‘homeless code of guidance for local authorities’
    [ Published by the Ministry of Housing Communities & Local Government ]

Mental illness or learning disability or physical disability

Housing authorities should have regard to any advice from medical professionals, social services or current providers of care and support. In cases where there is doubt as to the extent of any vulnerability authorities may also consider seeking a clinical opinion. However, the final decision on the question of vulnerability will rest with the housing authority. In considering whether such applicants are vulnerable, authorities will need to take account of all relevant factors including:

1. the nature and extent of the illness and/or disability;
    2. the relationship between the illness and/or disability and the individual’s housing difficulties; and,
    3. the relationship between the illness and/or disability and other factors such as drug/alcohol misuse, offending behaviour, challenging behaviour, age and personality disorder.

Assessment of vulnerability due to mental health problems will require cooperation between housing authorities, social services authorities and mental health agencies. Housing authorities should consider carrying out joint assessments or using a trained mental health practitioner as part of an assessment team. NHS mental health services provide help under the Care Programme Approach (CPA) for eligible patients, including people with severe mental illness (including personality disorder), who also have problems with housing. People who are homeless on discharge from hospital following a period of treatment for mental illness are likely to be vulnerable. Effective arrangements 64 for liaison between housing, social services and mental health services will be essential in such cases but authorities will also need to be sensitive to direct approaches from former patients who have been discharged and may be homeless.

Learning or physical disabilities or long-term or acute illnesses which give rise to vulnerability may be readily discernible, but advice from health or social services should be sought wherever necessary.

Having left accommodation because of violence

A person has a priority need if they are vulnerable as a result of having to leave accommodation because of violence from another person, or threats of violence from another person that are likely to be carried out. It will usually be apparent from the assessment of the reason for homelessness whether the applicant has had to leave accommodation because of violence or threats of violence. In cases involving violence, the safety of the applicant and ensuring confidentiality must be of paramount concern.

8.37    For further guidance on dealing with cases involving domestic violence see Chapter 21.

Reasonable reason to expect child to reside

Section 188(1) of the 1996 Act requires housing authorities to secure that accommodation is available for an applicant if they have reason to believe that the applicant may be homeless, eligible for assistance and have a priority need. The housing authority may bring this ‘interim’ accommodation duty to an end during the relief stage if they subsequently find that the applicant does not have priority need (or are not eligible or not homeless) and issues a decision that the applicant will not be owed further duties at the end of the relief duty. For further guidance on accommodation duties see chapter 15. Section 193(2) of the 1996 Act requires housing authorities to secure accommodation for applicants who have a priority need for accommodation section 189(1) and the Homelessness (Priority Need for Accommodation) (England) Order 2002 (the ‘2002 Order’) provide that the following categories of applicant have a priority need for accommodation:

1. a pregnant woman or a person with whom she resides or might reasonably be expected to reside (see paragraph 8.5);
    2. a person with whom dependent children reside or might reasonably be expected to reside (see paragraphs 8.6-8.12);
    3. a person who is vulnerable as a result of old age, mental illness, learning disability or physical disability or other special reason, or with whom such a person resides or might reasonably be expected to reside (see paragraphs 8.13-8.18);
    4. a person aged 16 or 17 who is not a ‘relevant child’ or a child in need to whom a local authority owes a duty under section 20 of the Children Act 1989 (see paragraphs 8.19-8.23);
    5. a person under 21 who was (but is no longer) looked after, accommodated or fostered between the ages of 16 and 18 (except a person who is a ‘relevant student’); 59
    6. a person aged 21 or more who is vulnerable as a result of having been looked after, accommodated or fostered (except a person who is a ‘relevant student’) (see paragraphs 8.28-8.31);
    7. a person who is vulnerable as a result of having been a member of Her Majesty’s regular naval, military or air forces (see paragraphs 8.32-8.33);
    8. a person who is vulnerable as a result of:
      1. having served a custodial sentence;
      2. having been committed for contempt of court or any other kindred offence; or,
      3. having been remanded in custody;(see paragraphs 8.34-8.35);
    9. a person who is vulnerable as a result of ceasing to occupy accommodation because of violence from another person or threats of violence from another person which are likely to be carried out (see paragraphs 8.36-8.37);
    10. a person who is homeless, or threatened with homelessness, as a result of an emergency such as flood, fire or other disaster.

Dependent children

Applicants have a priority need if one or more dependent children is living with them or might reasonably be expected to live with them. There must be actual dependence on the applicant, although the child need not be wholly and exclusively dependent on them. There must also be actual residence (or a reasonable expectation of residence) with some degree of permanence or  regularity, rather than a temporary arrangement whereby the children are merely staying with the applicant for a limited period (see paragraphs 8.10 and 8.11). Similarly, the child need not be wholly and exclusively resident (or expected to reside wholly and exclusively) with the applicant.

Housing authorities may receive applications from a parent who is separated from their former spouse or partner. In some cases where parents separate, the court may make a residence order indicating with which parent the child normally resides. In such cases the child may be considered to reside with the parent named in the order, and would not normally be expected to reside with the other parent. However, in many cases the parents come to an agreement themselves as to how the child is cared for, and a court order will not be required.

Residence does not have to be full-time and a child can be considered to reside with either parent or with both parents. However, there must be some regularity to the arrangement for it to establish residence. Housing authorities should be mindful that where parents separate, there will generally be a presumption towards shared residence though this will not always be on the basis of an equal amount of time being spent living with both parents.

Summary:

I believe that I have not been assessed correctly. I am intelligent, and can read and write, and I think that the council have mistaken my intelligence for non-vulnerability.

I struggle a lot in day to day life. I went to a special needs school where I had 1 to 1 care and support, and since leaving I’ve been struggling almost every day. I have many inbilities, and a homelessness, day to day struggling, that has left me isolated and quite lonely.

My goal is to get full priority housing and stable accommodation so I can get a job and finally start working my way out of this vicious cycle of homelessness and destitution, allowing me to financially provide for my child! As I know I could be successful – but since the age of 18 being kicked out of that youth hostel I have ended up struggling to survive and wasted a decade trying to get support and being rejected.

• Hopefully the solicitor will have much more experience. Fingers crossed for you.

• mouse2 I don't know your situation, if you give me more info via reply or via private message I can share any info I have that might be relevant.

maybe this info i've found will help you also:

I've been looking into the law, and want to know more about the Autism act [Nov 2009] and the Care Act [2014]

according to this page those statutes say someone with autism applying through the council should have: 

• A diagnosis pathway meeting
    • A Social care assessment (social worker coming to your house to see if you need support)
    • An assessment of needs meeting (also someone coming to see what your needs are)

(the needs assessed are things like: can you look after yourself; shop, cook, clean, etc; can you remember to do things without prompting; can you make friends; and can you develop and maintain relationships with friends and family.)

I didn't have any of these carried out (they are supposed to be done in person by a social worker)

when i asked my housing officer why this was they told me "we have assessed all of your needs" (basically they've decided what my needs were without speaking to me, which is a common thing they will do so they don't have to give you priority status and give you suitable accommodation)

if anyone sees a mistake in what i've said above please correct me. 

if anyone has any more info on the subject please let me know.

Citizens advice are a good place to start, you need to go there about 30 minutes before it opens, and stand in line so you get seen by an adviser, and they will tell you who you need to speak to/ get refereed to/ to get a housing solicitor.

• Thank you  duckbread.it's really kind of you to say, and as someone whose quite sensetive it's a confidence boost to hear those words.

I went to the citizens advice beareau, but i don't think I explained myself very well and they signposted me to a different legal clinic. hopefuly I will be able to see a housing solicitor soon who can give me some advice/support.

• I'm really sorry to hear you've gone through such a difficult time. The only practical advice I can think of is to try speaking to the Citizens' Advice Bureau. I don't know if you've tried this before, but if not, it's worth a try.

I'd also like to say that you don't sound feeble at all - you sound like an incredibly strong person to have been through so much and still be working towards a better life for yourself and your child. I hope you get the support you're looking for.

• I'm the same, I have no idea how to help. Are citizens advice any good where you live?

• thank you. yes i think the writting of it is helping me unpack my thoughts properly.

• Unfortunately I can't give you any practical help or advice.  Except to read and listen.

It is good to write life experiences like this to get things of your chest.