Migraines :(

I and my Aspergers son, suffer from Migraines which is considered as both genetic and caused by snxuety. I read an interesting article whuch said...

"Most doctors agree that migraine has a genetic component. Does this mean that there is also such a thing as a migraine personality? I looked at Hustvedt, so intense, so clever and so pale, and I wondered. In 1963 a doctor called HG Wolff characterised migraineurs as: ambitious, successful, perfectionistic, rigid, orderly, cautious, emotionally constipated, and driven"

Sounds like the perfect description of someone with Aspergers???

I tried all the prescriptive prevention medication but its my anti-depressant tablets which greatly reduce my attacks.

I was given Migramax, which is just a big dose of Aspirin and has limited effect. 

Does anyone have any prescription that they take before an attack?? In my case i continuously yawn before i get a Migraine. 

Parents
  • I never used to have migraines until I had viral encephalitis a few years ago – now I get them regularly.       They start with a visual aura – a blind spot in the centre of my left eye that I notice when I can’t see what I’m looking at – a sort of blurry circle that hides the word I’m looking at on the page.     Within a few minutes, that changes to a ‘c’ shape that is painted in the dazzle camouflage pattern that is oscillating.    

When I’m aware of the blind spot, I’ve learned to take 250mg Naproxen (I’m prescribed that for something else) and as that enters my blood stream, it makes the aura dissipate within about 20 minutes.

If I don’t take the Naproxen, the aura gets bigger over about 40 minutes until it becomes a big flashing dazzle pattern – just before the splitting headache starts.

I haven’t identified the cause of the migraines – it seems to be linked to a sudden bright light entering one eye only – like when the sun appears from behind something.

For some reason, chocolate seems to be a factor too.

• I never used to have migraines until I had viral encephalitis a few years ago – now I get them regularly.       They start with a visual aura – a blind spot in the centre of my left eye that I notice when I can’t see what I’m looking at – a sort of blurry circle that hides the word I’m looking at on the page.     Within a few minutes, that changes to a ‘c’ shape that is painted in the dazzle camouflage pattern that is oscillating.    

When I’m aware of the blind spot, I’ve learned to take 250mg Naproxen (I’m prescribed that for something else) and as that enters my blood stream, it makes the aura dissipate within about 20 minutes.

If I don’t take the Naproxen, the aura gets bigger over about 40 minutes until it becomes a big flashing dazzle pattern – just before the splitting headache starts.

I haven’t identified the cause of the migraines – it seems to be linked to a sudden bright light entering one eye only – like when the sun appears from behind something.

For some reason, chocolate seems to be a factor too.

Children
  • Oh yes part of the infamous three "C's" Chocolate, Cheese and cream. I too didn't get Migraines until I was a lot older and suffering from pretty constant anxiety (my Autism causing the Anxiety).

Another thing I read was that people who get Migraines are very sensitive to "external stimuli" eg in your case bright sunlight...