Denied assessment by community mental health team

Hi, I have always suspected that I was different from every one else. I am now 38 and finally got up the courage to ask my GP for a referral for Autistic assessment. 

My GP was amazing and had no issues referring me. That was three weeks ago, today I received a letter from a Community Mental Health Team. This is what it said...

We recently received a letter from your GP with regards to a query of autism.

What is of help when we receive your referral is that we are able to call up psychiatric notes for yourself.

On detailed review of your notes there is absolutely nothing to indicate that you have autism. It would appear that you have struggled for a long time with anxiety and low mood, and you have struggled socially for some time. We are of the belief that your presentation is more in keeping with anxiety as opposed to autism.
May I wish you the best.

I am so taken a back by this, they didn’t even attempt to speak with me. Feeling hopeless. What do I do?

Parents
  • sorry to hear you're having problems. its no surprise though.sometimes seems to me that professionals prefer to label people mental than autistic. Possibly because they already have a protocol to deal with adults with mental health issues but nothing setup to help people with autism.

If your GP was willing to send you for assessment they probably had one or two reasons to do so. I would get in contact with them and ask. People that haven't met you couldn't make an informed opinion or assess you. Even with GP input that would be near impossible.

If they have suggested you go see a shrink and get treated for anxiety and depression you could consider agreeing to an appointment IF and only IF the shrink has had autism training and is knowledgeable. That way they may refer you to someone for diagnosis...or if you are confident that their not just useless narcissistic know nothing know all's. Then maybe they will help with any anxiety and low mood you experience AND maybe you will think OKAY autistic or not i feel alright now

• sorry to hear you're having problems. its no surprise though.sometimes seems to me that professionals prefer to label people mental than autistic. Possibly because they already have a protocol to deal with adults with mental health issues but nothing setup to help people with autism.

If your GP was willing to send you for assessment they probably had one or two reasons to do so. I would get in contact with them and ask. People that haven't met you couldn't make an informed opinion or assess you. Even with GP input that would be near impossible.

If they have suggested you go see a shrink and get treated for anxiety and depression you could consider agreeing to an appointment IF and only IF the shrink has had autism training and is knowledgeable. That way they may refer you to someone for diagnosis...or if you are confident that their not just useless narcissistic know nothing know all's. Then maybe they will help with any anxiety and low mood you experience AND maybe you will think OKAY autistic or not i feel alright now

Children
  • Thank you for the reply, I am currently writing a letter asking them to reconsider their decision. I feel like they should at least speak to me before making such a decision. I feel that all my years of masking are now working against me.

Im not going to give up though, I feel like getting the assessment will prove their decision wrong. I’m going back to my GP this week and will speak with her about it.