Private assessment- first stage

just wondering if anyone has self referred privately  and after the initial face to face chat the psychologist says you make eye contact, you understand love and anger, you have friends and you completed school so it’s just anxiety and I wouldn’t recommend paying for the full assessment (in brief thats what I understood she meant!)

i get that autism and anxiety are closely linked but this just explained so much and now I feel totally lost again. We didn’t discuss any of my current struggles, she just asked questions on childhood through to teens and I had no answers for developmental stages as I didn't know.

i know the online aq tests are just a guide but is it possible just to have anxiety snd still score highly on these?

any help appreciated! Feeling lost.

Parents
  • I too went private but initially with a Psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Aspergers. I wrote about 8 pages of A4 abour my life, quirks and daily struggles. He clearly read this, because he was able to ask me pertinent questions. He recommended a full assessment and initially saw a Psychologist for a pre-assessment in order to decide whether i should have the full assessment. Luckly she did and after an observational assessment with another Psychologist and two 1.5hr interviews (one with my wife present) - I got the confirmation diagnosis. The Psychiatrist cost £300, pre-assessment £280 and the full assessment £1500.

I would write copious notes, include any odd stories that stick in your mind and they'll have more to work with. Thr eye contact thing is a bit of a myth. Although i find that when i explain stuff I always look away anyway. 

• Thanks John, i paid £330 and it was with a clinical psychologist to assess whether a full assessment would be necessary. I took 4 pages of A4 notes with me and didnt even give them to her or refer to them as she focused on my family, childhood. Basically felt like because i function adequately I cant be autistic

• Basically felt like because i function adequately I cant be autistic

I'm married with a child and a chartered engineer - I could function / faked things very well until it all got too much and I totally burned out at 47.

• Thanks, did you see my reply to your other comment as to why i was seeking an assessment? Do you think it would be worth pursuing any further? Don’t know what to do!

Reply Children
No Data