Pica and smells

Hi all. Anxiety has been super high and from reading online I think what I've always had is pica or sensory seeking? I've always chewed toweling fabric! I'll chew it until it falls appart. Worse at times and now I think its anxiety causing me to crave it more and more. 

Anyway wondering how I overcome this?

As a kid I was addicted to furniture polish, I'd spray it onto a duster and smell it for ages. Then I found out the harm and stopped thank fully! Luckily I was okay. I'm craving strong smells again lately. I'm worried that the polish craving will come back. Is this also sensory seeking?

Parents
  • Ooh, interesting question! I managed to get myself addicted to chewing gum a while ago, because chewing calms me when I'm feeling anxious. I found that it actually wasn't very good for my stomach/digestive system, so I stopped. Here's what I do for sensory seeking instead:

• Wearing soft clothing (so I can enjoy the texture of the fabric).
    • Having a hot drink (I really like the warming sensation and find it calming).
    • Using a Tangle (a type of fidget toy).
    • Wearing a perfume that I really like the smell of (much safer than furniture polish!).
    • Sitting under my weighted blanket (deep pressure is very calming for me).
    • Hugging a hot water bottle (I have a hot water bottle that's Hedwig from Harry Potter, so it has a soft texture as well as being warm).
    • Rolling play dough, blue tac or putty in my hands (you can also make it into fun shapes - bonus).

Hope this helps - take care of yourself.

• Ooh, interesting question! I managed to get myself addicted to chewing gum a while ago, because chewing calms me when I'm feeling anxious. I found that it actually wasn't very good for my stomach/digestive system, so I stopped. Here's what I do for sensory seeking instead:

• Wearing soft clothing (so I can enjoy the texture of the fabric).
    • Having a hot drink (I really like the warming sensation and find it calming).
    • Using a Tangle (a type of fidget toy).
    • Wearing a perfume that I really like the smell of (much safer than furniture polish!).
    • Sitting under my weighted blanket (deep pressure is very calming for me).
    • Hugging a hot water bottle (I have a hot water bottle that's Hedwig from Harry Potter, so it has a soft texture as well as being warm).
    • Rolling play dough, blue tac or putty in my hands (you can also make it into fun shapes - bonus).

Hope this helps - take care of yourself.

Children