Hello I am new and in need of advice please

Hi, I am hoping somebody could please give me advise. I am new here. Its about my boyfriend. I love him very much and he is very sweet and good, until there is a conflict, then he changes into another person. Since we have been living together I have been noticing things that he never showed me before. The latest concerns me a lot and made me think perhaps he has some form of autism. When we had our last conflict, as usual he ignores me, refuses to talk, no eye contact, but this time when i asked him what was so bad tgat i did to him that i deserved this treatment, he ran into to kitchen sat on the floor in a corner, covered his ears and started rocking with his head making humming sounds. Other then that he goes and stands in a corner facing the wall or he goes and lock himself on a room. I never seen this behavior before and dont really know how to handle with it. There are many other things, but I think these are the main signs for me that made me worried. Could you please give me your opinion if this sounds he might have a form of autism? I expressed my concern to him but he is not open to it. Thank you in advance. 

Parents
  • awwwww bless his heart 

in response to   

I never seen this behavior before and dont really know how to handle with it

during this moment you don't need to handle it as he is doing it himself, the best thing you can do is make the lighting softer in the room and remove as much sensory stimulation is possible, noises from the tv or radio etc and then leave him alone until he has managed to get himself back to base. Autism or not, this behavioural response is that of an overwhelmed person, he is blocking out sensory information and self soothing by rocking back and forth and humming. It is a very normal response to being extremely overwhelmed. Do not try to reason with him, continue the conversation or shout. just let him self sooth.

Before i knew i had Asperger's and i reacted this way during an argument i thought i was broken, he may not be open to the prospect that he may be on the spectrum now, but that is a massive bomb to drop on someone so give him time 

• Thank you for your reply and explanation. It helps me understand him better or what to do in that aspect. 

Reply Children
No Data