My GP thinks asperger's is a "psychiatric medical condition that requires routine psychiatry appointments"

Is my GP correct? Can I challenge this?

I have a diagnosis of high-functioning asperger's but that's all. I don't need appointments with psychiatry to keep trying to get me to take medication. There's actually an anti-psychotic called Risperidone which is actually approved for "irritability caused by autism". No joke.

Parents
  • No joke.

...I am really preferring that someone else here can give proper/better advice than I can. But the fact that You are aware that something is uncomfortable/not right... is a very good thing, because You are correct. I post here to support that.

All I can say is to try another GP, or if this their policy, then change Practices altogether. There is no "drug" for Autism... that is wrong and You can try to challenge that, but they have Authority in the end, so as I said, try to get away from them. Not all GPs are like that!

What I *can* advise is to keep calm, and when challenging, remember what You Yourself are about, and state it calmly. Keep insisting at it, calmly, and eventually You may gain an explanation or re-direction to another GP. (A Psychologist is better than a Psychiatrist for Autism.) But from what little information is in Your OP, I would, as said, advise abandoning that GP... Some people are just like that about Autism, and have no intention of learning about it or understanding it! (This is the way that Life currently is.)

• ...I am really preferring that someone else here can give proper/better advice than I can.

...I meant that, truly, so I post it again. You do not have to take this sort of thing... but I cannot advise anything else apart from what I said before, there. Be calm.

(Sorry about any multiple postings, the Quote function is difficult to use. Also, I have corrected spelling mistakes in My previous Post. Making so many mistakes is a sign that I should sign off, now... it is One in the Morning.)

• ...I am really preferring that someone else here can give proper/better advice than I can.

...I meant that, truly, so I post it again. You do not have to take this sort of thing... but I cannot advise anything else apart from what I said before, there. Be calm.

(Sorry about any multiple postings, the Quote function is difficult to use. Also, I have corrected spelling mistakes in My previous Post. Making so many mistakes is a sign that I should sign off, now... it is One in the Morning.)

Children
No Data