Impatience

Does anyone else get annoyed with other people when they don't respond to things as quickly as you want?

In my head I have my own time frame and I prioritise my theatre group as it is my obsession. When I have a question or want to check with my team about something I find it hard when they don't respond . I want to act now now now and I find it hard that they don't have the theatre group as their priority. 

As I have made so many mistakes with so many people due to miscommunication I like to check with others before I act or react it's just sometimes they don't do it quick enough.

I now worry that I am too over bearing and that I am going to became over reliant on them and they will leave or they will just became annoyed with me.

I need help but I am afraid if I ask too much then people are going to get fed up with me.

Parents
  • Totally. I've always been really impatient, whether that's because people take too long to respond or take too long to follow what I'm saying in the first place. It's as if they have lives of their own or something, and how dare they when I need them now, now, now. :-)

I think our brains gallop along at a million miles an hour, and all of our anxieties and sensory issues make us really impatient and irritable. Yes, other people will see you as overbearing, a control freak, or as having some other issue which they find annoying (my family were always saying this to me when I was growing up). I think Darkshines makes a good suggestion about distracting yourself for a while and physically removing yourself from your phone/email and doing some form of exercise that helps alleviate some of the frustration, be that a flight of stairs, pottering in the garden, a craft or going for a walk/run etc. Realistically, depending on the group norm, you probably need to allow people around 3 days to respond, although I've come across groups where 1-2 weeks is the norm. It kinda depends on how often you see them face-to-face and general demographic (young people might respond faster than older, but I'm generalising because I know a lot of retired people who check their emails a couple of times a day, but people with young families will be busy with other things and you will be a lower priority).

I think if you can establish what your group norm is, you may be able to manage your expectations and frustrations a little better, and then find ways to cope with the inevitable lag with their response.

• Totally. I've always been really impatient, whether that's because people take too long to respond or take too long to follow what I'm saying in the first place. It's as if they have lives of their own or something, and how dare they when I need them now, now, now. :-)

I think our brains gallop along at a million miles an hour, and all of our anxieties and sensory issues make us really impatient and irritable. Yes, other people will see you as overbearing, a control freak, or as having some other issue which they find annoying (my family were always saying this to me when I was growing up). I think Darkshines makes a good suggestion about distracting yourself for a while and physically removing yourself from your phone/email and doing some form of exercise that helps alleviate some of the frustration, be that a flight of stairs, pottering in the garden, a craft or going for a walk/run etc. Realistically, depending on the group norm, you probably need to allow people around 3 days to respond, although I've come across groups where 1-2 weeks is the norm. It kinda depends on how often you see them face-to-face and general demographic (young people might respond faster than older, but I'm generalising because I know a lot of retired people who check their emails a couple of times a day, but people with young families will be busy with other things and you will be a lower priority).

I think if you can establish what your group norm is, you may be able to manage your expectations and frustrations a little better, and then find ways to cope with the inevitable lag with their response.

Children