Autism assistance dog / employer asked for letter explaining why is autism a disability

I have an autism assistance dog as recommended by my doctor. He is owner trained and is considered an auxiliary aid under the equality act.  I have sought advice from ACAS, the equality and human rights support line and assistance dogs uk and have all said the same thing. That he would be considered an auxiliary aid due to my autism. 

My employer however have refused to make reasonable adjustments for him to come into the workplace unless I produce a letter stating why autism is a disability. Considering I work for a university I would think they would be aware.

I have already provided my doctors letter stating that he reduces my symptoms.

I'm just shocked my their response.

Thank you for reading. 

Parents

• I have already provided my doctors letter stating that he reduces my symptoms.

There is this also this information from the ADUK (Assistance Dogs United Kingdom) website:

- How do I know that the person who is accompanied by an assistance dog has a disability ?

If somebody has qualified to be partnered with an assistance dog trained by an ADUK member, they will have had to show clear evidence of their disability by means of medical assessments and reports. Some disabilities, such as deafness, may not be visible.

The Equalities Act 2010 states that it is unlawful for a service provider to discriminate against a disabled person either directly or indirectly. For full information on the law and assistance dogs, please read the Equality and Human Rights Commission or Equality Commission NI

- Why should I allow a disabled person to be accompanied by their assistance dog ?

The Equalities Act 2010 and Disability Discrimination Act 1995 say that reasonable adjustments must be made in order to avoid discriminating against people with disabilities. These will range from creating an access route for a person with a wheelchair to waiving a “no dog’s policy” in order that a disabled person may be accompanied by their assistance dog.

All assistance dogs trained and placed by ADUK member organisations perform practical assistive tasks for their disabled partners, to avoid them being at a disadvantage and to enable them to be independent, or provide guiding skills in the case of blind or partially sighted people. For this reason it is reasonable to allow assistance dogs to accompany their owners into most situations where pet dogs would not be permitted, or for service providers to make reasonable adjustments in providing safe and secure accommodation for a dog and support for its handler in the dog’s absence, in, for example, a zoo.

A disabled person should not be put at a disadvantage due to their assistance dog. For example, a disabled person should not be asked to sit in a specific area to keep the dog out of the way, or asked to pay an additional fee for cleaning.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced a guide that informs businesses of their legal obligation to allow access to assistance dogs: Assistance dogs – a guide for all businesses.

And here follows a Youtube video for a bit of general information from the Equality and Human Commission webpage on disability discrimination according to the Equality Act 2010:

• I have already provided my doctors letter stating that he reduces my symptoms.

There is this also this information from the ADUK (Assistance Dogs United Kingdom) website:

- How do I know that the person who is accompanied by an assistance dog has a disability ?

If somebody has qualified to be partnered with an assistance dog trained by an ADUK member, they will have had to show clear evidence of their disability by means of medical assessments and reports. Some disabilities, such as deafness, may not be visible.

The Equalities Act 2010 states that it is unlawful for a service provider to discriminate against a disabled person either directly or indirectly. For full information on the law and assistance dogs, please read the Equality and Human Rights Commission or Equality Commission NI

- Why should I allow a disabled person to be accompanied by their assistance dog ?

The Equalities Act 2010 and Disability Discrimination Act 1995 say that reasonable adjustments must be made in order to avoid discriminating against people with disabilities. These will range from creating an access route for a person with a wheelchair to waiving a “no dog’s policy” in order that a disabled person may be accompanied by their assistance dog.

All assistance dogs trained and placed by ADUK member organisations perform practical assistive tasks for their disabled partners, to avoid them being at a disadvantage and to enable them to be independent, or provide guiding skills in the case of blind or partially sighted people. For this reason it is reasonable to allow assistance dogs to accompany their owners into most situations where pet dogs would not be permitted, or for service providers to make reasonable adjustments in providing safe and secure accommodation for a dog and support for its handler in the dog’s absence, in, for example, a zoo.

A disabled person should not be put at a disadvantage due to their assistance dog. For example, a disabled person should not be asked to sit in a specific area to keep the dog out of the way, or asked to pay an additional fee for cleaning.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have produced a guide that informs businesses of their legal obligation to allow access to assistance dogs: Assistance dogs – a guide for all businesses.

And here follows a Youtube video for a bit of general information from the Equality and Human Commission webpage on disability discrimination according to the Equality Act 2010:

Children
No Data