Food for energy

Can anyone help me with suggestions for what foods to eat for energy?

I feel tired too often.

I'm following a gluten-free and dairy-free diet as those two make me very tired.

I've lowered my salt intake drastically, which has helped. When I was seasoning my meals with salt I was getting more tired than now.

Parents
  • I'm also GF and DF, and follow a fairly strict paleo diet (and generally don't eat any grains), which seems to give me reasonably constant energy—I avoid the troughs of the sugar-rollercoaster, but I also miss out on the highs—so it really depends what it is you're after.

Have you tried increasing your water intake? If reducing salt has improved your fatigue, it may be that you're dehydrated as that always makes me incredibly tired and sluggish. I tend to drink a pint of water as soon as I wake up, and then another mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and again with my evening meal (and more if I'm exercising or it's hot). My problem was feeling tired and thirsty, but drinking water made me more thirsty, so I realised I needed to rebalance my electrolytes (it's not just cutting down on sodium, you need to take in the right ratios of sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium for your body to absorb water and hydrate effectively). I took Dioralyte for a couple of days, adding a sachet to every glass of water, first in the concentrations they suggest, then increasing the amount of water so it was more of a background thing. Made a massive difference really quickly. Periodically, I repeat this, usually if I've been swimming or had a sauna and I'm still groggy the following day. Kinda like having a sports drink I guess, but without all the artificial nasties they put in there that don't agree with me.

I don't drink much tea these days so my tolerance to caffeine is pretty low. As such, when I'm looking for an energy boost, I'll have a nice large mug of English breakfast tea (with soya milk). Heaven. Dark chocolate (85% or 90%) has a similar effect, which I tend to reserve for my period. Supplement-wise, I take COQ10 (200mg daily) for energy, BioCare Adult Multivitamins & Minerals for general wellbeing, and Magnesium EAP to minimise muscular pain and anxiety. I wouldn't say I necessarily feel better for taking those things, but I do feel worse when I don't, so they definitely do something.

• I'm also GF and DF, and follow a fairly strict paleo diet (and generally don't eat any grains), which seems to give me reasonably constant energy—I avoid the troughs of the sugar-rollercoaster, but I also miss out on the highs—so it really depends what it is you're after.

Have you tried increasing your water intake? If reducing salt has improved your fatigue, it may be that you're dehydrated as that always makes me incredibly tired and sluggish. I tend to drink a pint of water as soon as I wake up, and then another mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and again with my evening meal (and more if I'm exercising or it's hot). My problem was feeling tired and thirsty, but drinking water made me more thirsty, so I realised I needed to rebalance my electrolytes (it's not just cutting down on sodium, you need to take in the right ratios of sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium for your body to absorb water and hydrate effectively). I took Dioralyte for a couple of days, adding a sachet to every glass of water, first in the concentrations they suggest, then increasing the amount of water so it was more of a background thing. Made a massive difference really quickly. Periodically, I repeat this, usually if I've been swimming or had a sauna and I'm still groggy the following day. Kinda like having a sports drink I guess, but without all the artificial nasties they put in there that don't agree with me.

I don't drink much tea these days so my tolerance to caffeine is pretty low. As such, when I'm looking for an energy boost, I'll have a nice large mug of English breakfast tea (with soya milk). Heaven. Dark chocolate (85% or 90%) has a similar effect, which I tend to reserve for my period. Supplement-wise, I take COQ10 (200mg daily) for energy, BioCare Adult Multivitamins & Minerals for general wellbeing, and Magnesium EAP to minimise muscular pain and anxiety. I wouldn't say I necessarily feel better for taking those things, but I do feel worse when I don't, so they definitely do something.

Children
  • I don't understand about elecrolytes, its interesting though, just something I haven't looked into at all and am baffled by. 

Probably I do need to drink more water. I have that thing where my body doesn't tell me quickly enough that I need to. 

With the paleo diet there are some people who believe sweet potatoes are allowed but not potatoes, where do you stand on that?