Work

Hello

I just want to get this off my chest. 

I was at work yesterday, (I'm a chef working in a busy cafe) and I have never felt my autism more then what I did yesterday. Infact I never really probably noticed it. 

The head chef and waiter was having a conversation for all the kitchen to hear. They was getting louder and louder,  I realised how it was affecting me. 

Usually I try and tune out and concerntrate on the cheques coming in, but yesterday I  couldn't for the life of me concerntrate, I was losing focus and getting confused to what I was putting on. I guess it frightened me a little. 

In the end I had to tell them to shut up.  Try and explain to my head chef why I told him to shut up earlier. He didn't seem bothered really about being told to shut up. 

I know I haven't been properly diagnosed, but I really felt it yesterday.

• Hello California dreamer

Yes I have told him my situation. He has a son who as autism, so I do think he understands. 

Yes mine is more sounds, my sister noticed that a couple of years ago when we went to a Christmas market and I wanted to go somewhere quieter.

Oh believe me I do get overwhelmed in my job and when it's busy I just focus on what I am doing. I do panic a bit at times. 

Oh I have had meltdowns and been pulled on it. At the time I couldn't understand why I was having them until this year. Now I understand.

• Hello Katy,

With Autism, it is easy to become distressed in certain situations. Since our senses seem to be enhanced, we can feel overwhelmed. In your instance it was sound. It also probably didn't help that your workplace was busy. However, well done on telling others how you felt, I wouldn't have the nerve unless I was pushed too far.

Does your head chef know about your Autism? If he does he probably understands what has happened, and he may be more considerate in the future.

I sometimes become distressed during a cacophony of noise. I KNOW that I couldn't do your job, rush, rush, rush... I would just go into a meltdown!