Obsessions

Im struggling atm with everything i do becomes obsesional even reading listening to music mindfulness tecqniques. They become so tiring i give up on everything and dont have any special interests left as they all become compulsive. I do everything so intently it doesnt become satisfying. I get really down  abt this sort of behaviour i cannot seem to stop. Is this related to my asd which i was diagnosed with 3 months ago. Many thanks gaz.p.s even religion in the past with all its rituals etc

Parents
  • Hi there, gaz.

I agree with Graham that burn-out sounds quite likely, and it's usually best not to fight it too hard; it will only tire you out more, when what you really need is rest. Follow what your instincts are telling you - but I'd also second Grahams advice to get a bit of gentle exercise in the most peaceful place that's handy.

I wonder as well, it sounds from your post that maybe this has got worse just recently, since your diagnosis. That wouldn't be unusual at all. Even though it's true that a diagnosis doesn't change who we are, it does open up a whole load of new angles to look at life, identity, and memories from. Even if you're not consciously ruminating about them, there's probably a fair bit in your mind that's been shaken up and will need some time to settle down. For most of us who weren't diagnosed as small children, it can be quite a roller-coaster for a while. So again, try not to push yourself too hard, and take your time finding and digesting any advice that you need (which you can come here for, of course!)

• Hi there, gaz.

I agree with Graham that burn-out sounds quite likely, and it's usually best not to fight it too hard; it will only tire you out more, when what you really need is rest. Follow what your instincts are telling you - but I'd also second Grahams advice to get a bit of gentle exercise in the most peaceful place that's handy.

I wonder as well, it sounds from your post that maybe this has got worse just recently, since your diagnosis. That wouldn't be unusual at all. Even though it's true that a diagnosis doesn't change who we are, it does open up a whole load of new angles to look at life, identity, and memories from. Even if you're not consciously ruminating about them, there's probably a fair bit in your mind that's been shaken up and will need some time to settle down. For most of us who weren't diagnosed as small children, it can be quite a roller-coaster for a while. So again, try not to push yourself too hard, and take your time finding and digesting any advice that you need (which you can come here for, of course!)

Children