ASD assessment as an Adult (how to ask for parental involvement?)

Hi, so I am currently considering requesting an ASD assessment from my CMHT as this is something that has been on my mind since I was 12 when I learned what Autism was. I am 20 now and I feel like I want to pursue this however I understand that someone will need to give a full developmental history and I don't know how to bring this up to my Mum. I brought up my worries when I was 14 and my Mum very much disagreed stating I was saying it for attention and wanted to copy friends. I am worried she will still believe this and that it'll effect our relationship. I am just looking for some advice on how to address the situation if anyone has similar experiences.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi guys! Thank you for all the replies it’s been really helpful. I have recently received a psychiatry appointment for the end of this month and have decided to bring it up there. If my psychiatrist agrees to assess me then I’ll bring it up to my mum. 

(I have psychiatry cause of ocd and they suspected adhd cause I have Tourettes diagnosis but I think the symptoms relate within ASD )

• Hi guys! Thank you for all the replies it’s been really helpful. I have recently received a psychiatry appointment for the end of this month and have decided to bring it up there. If my psychiatrist agrees to assess me then I’ll bring it up to my mum. 

(I have psychiatry cause of ocd and they suspected adhd cause I have Tourettes diagnosis but I think the symptoms relate within ASD )

Children
  • Hi Caiel

My mum was similar when I first mentioned it. The assessment centre sent me the questions in advance so that I could ask my mum and represent her views if she didn't want to attend. After we'd been through the questions my mum felt less threatened and more clear on what was expected of her - the assessor also reassured her that it wasn't her fault, and we didn't know about ASD until more recently so she wasn't a bad mother (those were my mum's fears).  Maybe sharing the questions with your mum in advance might help? It could also be ANYONE ELSE who has known you for a very long time. My best friend of 21 years was going to come with me if my mum didn't

Good luck

Daisy