Talking a lot about Autisim

I am new to the Autism  Forum I am 64 years old  and was diagnosed 10 years ago with Higher  Functioning Autism  (it used to be named Aspergers Syndrome but  the name has been changed  after recent news came to light about Dr Hans Aspergers)   I would like to know if anyone else is like this. I have a close circle of friends who accept me as I am, but I lost one friend some time ago because she could not take me speaking about the Spectrum, a lot of the time or Emailing her information which was just to help her understand about the Spectrum,and why I did or said things the way I did. I was never rude or nasty though. Welll she  sent me an Email,, that said I would grow old and be very lonely and have no friends. I took that to mean cause I spoke about Autism, a lot. And someone else told me that was true.I just wonder does anyone else relate to this? Sorry to have  gone on a lot please forgive me.

Helena

Parents
  • I think that maybe I do make reference to my autism too often, and I do seem to frustrate my wife at times with this.

However, as someone has said learning all I can about it to broaden my understanding has become my latest obsessive behaviour.

Also given that it's shaped my fifty-five years of life without me knowing, it is kind of important to me.

I think there's a popular misconception that it's somehow cool to be an "aspie" (although I never hear this from people actually on the spectrum) and maybe people wrongly think there's a brag taking place.

So, I won't be changing my approach anytime soon. If your friend can't be bothered to understand what you are experiencing and appreciate the situation, then it's their loss and you don't need them.

• I think that maybe I do make reference to my autism too often, and I do seem to frustrate my wife at times with this.

However, as someone has said learning all I can about it to broaden my understanding has become my latest obsessive behaviour.

Also given that it's shaped my fifty-five years of life without me knowing, it is kind of important to me.

I think there's a popular misconception that it's somehow cool to be an "aspie" (although I never hear this from people actually on the spectrum) and maybe people wrongly think there's a brag taking place.

So, I won't be changing my approach anytime soon. If your friend can't be bothered to understand what you are experiencing and appreciate the situation, then it's their loss and you don't need them.

Children
  • I think your right I know if someone has a condition or what ever I try hard to learn about what they have ,so I can be a better support to that person unfortunately not every one is like that.I now just stick with friends who are kind, caring, and help me to be the best I can be. I try to be encouraging like that to others too. Thanks again Helena