Talking a lot about Autisim

I am new to the Autism  Forum I am 64 years old  and was diagnosed 10 years ago with Higher  Functioning Autism  (it used to be named Aspergers Syndrome but  the name has been changed  after recent news came to light about Dr Hans Aspergers)   I would like to know if anyone else is like this. I have a close circle of friends who accept me as I am, but I lost one friend some time ago because she could not take me speaking about the Spectrum, a lot of the time or Emailing her information which was just to help her understand about the Spectrum,and why I did or said things the way I did. I was never rude or nasty though. Welll she  sent me an Email,, that said I would grow old and be very lonely and have no friends. I took that to mean cause I spoke about Autism, a lot. And someone else told me that was true.I just wonder does anyone else relate to this? Sorry to have  gone on a lot please forgive me.

Helena

Parents
  • People get the hump for all sorts of unfathomable reasons, then in your example your friend seems to have expressed their anger and blamed you for the fact that they no longer want to be friends. I don't pretend to know the rules of friendship though!

I think it must be common for those of us diagnosed in later life to do quite a lot of thinking about it - we have a lot to catch up on of course.

You'll find friends here I'm sure - welcome :-)

• People get the hump for all sorts of unfathomable reasons, then in your example your friend seems to have expressed their anger and blamed you for the fact that they no longer want to be friends. I don't pretend to know the rules of friendship though!

I think it must be common for those of us diagnosed in later life to do quite a lot of thinking about it - we have a lot to catch up on of course.

You'll find friends here I'm sure - welcome :-)

Children
  • Thanks a lot for making me feel so welcome that friend ,was like that because they did not like me speaking about the Autism Spectrum, I would never be like that to anyone. N T do not know what it is like for us, those on the Spectrum .We have difficult issues we must face each day, some days are better for us than others as you know I often wonder could N T, cope if they were in our shoes. Thanks again for your kind welcome. Helena