Art

Ok, there's a decent chance this one's just me, but I'm curious.

I don't get art. I understand making it as an outlet, and I can appreciate beauty. However when I look at a painting/sculpture etc, I don't 'feel' anything. Either it looks pretty or it doesn't, it's done with skill or it's not. This seems to span all genres/movements.

As this is a sort of perception thing, and to do with connecting emotionally, I wondered whether it may be ASD related. Does anyone else feel the same? Negative responses welcome as this is just a point of interest, I'm not looking for reassurance.

Parents
  • I have never been able to appreciate art aside from in a "that must have been hard to make" way. If I ever visit a gallery, my favourite paintings are those that most resemble a photograph as it's amazing that anyone could paint so realistically. 

I prefer it when there's a description of what the painting is about and what it means. I once went to a gallery with a friend and was completely baffled by the emotions the paintings were evoking in her. I really didn't know what to say as "I feel nothing" would have been creepy!

Equally, I find poetry very hard to understand but it has occasionally moved me, connected with me, even without having the foggiest what it means. I think it's the rhythm and the beat.

• Other than spike milligan as a child I've never been into poetry. However a few weeks ago on holiday I was moved to tears by a rendition of The King Of Rome - about a racing pigeon. This has lit a spark within me, and I've recently been indulging in John Cooper Clarke and Don Marquis. I actually found JCC was good at breaking me out of a cycle of ruminating and obsessive thoughts the other day.  I think it was the rhythm of the beat. His poems don't move me as such but I find them clever and amusing.

• John Cooper Clarke has such a wonderful voice

Reply Children