Motion Sickness

I suffer badly with sea sickness. I've tried every technique going and nothing works. I know a couple of other people who I suspect are autistic but haven't been formally diagnosed, and they are exactly the same.

Just curious to know whether others on here are the same, and also equally interested to hear from people on the spectrum for whom it's not a problem.

Any techniques / remedies welcome, (though I've probably tried it :) ).

• I do wear glasses yes. Felt very dizzy when I first got them as I could see the ground at the bottom of my view (not through the lens) then the altered view. With driving, I would look in the mirror and it took 2-3 seconds to actually process what I was seeing, then look back to the road and another 2-3 seconds. It was just too dangerous once I was driving on faster busier roads. It is a pain having to walk everywhere but probably better for the environment!

• I thought ***,  I am dying, I could not  speak by the way   - then when I mentioned it to my mum later she says oh yea your dad suffered from those, he had Menieres Disease ---- holy crap !

I'm lucky I dont have Menieres. Just autism, its a piece of piss lol

• Do you wear glasses?

That’s horrible you have to stop driving lessons.  It gives you so much freedom being able to drive and avoid public transport.

I tried a VR headset a few years ago. I didn’t feel right for about two weeks it was horrible.  

• I've always wondered why I get dizzy just turning my head. I can't ride a bike unless I just fix my eyes ahead and I had to stop driving lessons as just looking at the mirrors made me really disorientated.

VR headsets are like kryptonite to me too!

• Yep. I spent the whole crossing to the Isle of Man with my head in a toilet. I get sick on rides like Flying Chairs (fine on a fast rollercoaster) or Pirate ships. As a kid I got sick on every car journey but I'm better if in the front seat, and if I try to read on a bus or train I will be vomiting after 10 seconds!

Things that help are taking motion sickness tablets, watching the way ahead, eating ginger nuts.

• Yeah I get this. Video games can make me ill for days. I once tried call of duty about 10 years ago and was unwell for about three days.  I could hardly get out of bed.  I get quite dizzy and disorientated if I’m just walking along the footpath and I turn to see if the road is safe to cross.  

I agree with duckbread a out a full stomach helping, I need carbs when I start feeling motion sick.  Or if it’s quite bad I need to lie down till it’s eased off then eat a load of sugar.  

I haven’t found anything to help it really.  Other than avoiding ships, and knowing if I’m flying to take extra snacks. 

• I've never tried putting my hands on the ground - I'll give that a try. The vertigo attack sounds scary!

• as u can see i gave the same link as  :)

• yes i have to be careful, xbox games get me very ill really quickly and i have to stop. I close my eyes and I put my hands on the ground to tell my brain I am not moving. I usually have to lie down  as well.

sometimes just when i stop the car when driving I get motion issues for 1/2 seconds then they are gone.

I have had on full on vertigo attack just the once fortunately, which sent the room spinning and  had such a dramatic effect on my body they thought i had had a heart attack :). I never worked out what caused it.

I was given medicine for motion sickness ( for the vertigo attack ) but never took them as the side effects seemed  too risky.. So possibly ask your GP.

motion sickness is higher in autism vs neurotypicals

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/sensory-world.aspx

• Oddly enough, I don't get seasick, but I do get travel sick in cars (if I'm not the driver) and on coaches; I also struggle with some games on the Playstation if there's a lot of motion on the screen. The NAS website refers to car sickness here (under 'Balance'): https://www.autism.org.uk/about/behaviour/sensory-world.aspx

Oddly enough, I'm far less likely to feel sick if I travel on a full stomach (carbs help). Fresh air seems to help a bit too - so if you're on a boat, you could stand out on the deck... or you could open the windows if you're in a car. I also find I'm less travel sick if I have a clear view (e.g. sitting in the front passenger seat of a car, or in the central back seat).