Autism and ADHD

I was just looking up about this (for another post) and thought it may be interesting to have others views of the potential overlap between these 2 conditions.

The  American Psychiatric Association (APA) stated for years that the two conditions couldn’t be diagnosed in the same person. In 2013, the APA changed its stance. With the release of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), the APA states that the two conditions can co-occur.

In a 2014 review of studies looking at the co-occurrence of ADHD and ASD, researchers found that between 30 to 50 percent of people with ASD also have symptoms of ADHD. Researchers don’t fully understand the cause for either condition, or why they occur together so frequently.

Both conditions may be linked to genetics. One study identified a rare gene that may be linked to both conditions. This finding could explain why these conditions often occur in the same person.

Parents
  • "Both conditions may be linked to genetics..." Well of course they are! Where is the doubt-who has even expressed any on the subject?

I am personally convinced that my parents were both on the ASD Spectrum to some extent and that my father had ADD as well which I have inherited but seem to have a more severe form of as he was quite academic whereas I am not remotely.

( I am also not a violent psycho bully like he was so I should be grateful for that.) 

All I know about life with the two conditions is that I end up crashing headlong into one brick wall after another and it has always been this way.

Can't therefore recommend it as a lifestyle choice.

• "Both conditions may be linked to genetics..." Well of course they are! Where is the doubt-who has even expressed any on the subject?

I am personally convinced that my parents were both on the ASD Spectrum to some extent and that my father had ADD as well which I have inherited but seem to have a more severe form of as he was quite academic whereas I am not remotely.

( I am also not a violent psycho bully like he was so I should be grateful for that.) 

All I know about life with the two conditions is that I end up crashing headlong into one brick wall after another and it has always been this way.

Can't therefore recommend it as a lifestyle choice.

Children