Concentration tips

I'm having one of those days (and often do!) where I have a big task to complete (my dissertation), but just can't concentrate. My mind keeps wandering, I'm procrastinating, and I feel like I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any tips on getting yourself to focus when you're struggling with concentration?

Parents
  • I'm not sure if this has been said before but I find the following things helpful: 1) setting an alarm clock in addition to having a to-do list because I tend to obsess over tasks as well and end up exhausting myself because I can't see "the bigger picture" (= getting task x done). Saying to myself "I'm going to focus on this for x numer of minutes before the first break" really helps me putting things into perspective. 2) Have you heard of tangle toys? They're great for stimming with your hands (if that's your thing). Playing with these while I read/take notes/write really helps me focus. Hope this helps! I'm currently working on my PhD dissertation so I feel your pain.

• Thanks! I haven't thought of setting myself timers - I often find I sit there for hours and wonder why I haven't been coming up with anything productive. I need to get better at taking breaks.

I have a tangle toy and I love it; I use it at work when I'm on conference calls. I don't know why I didn't think of using it for studying! 

Thanks for the tips Slight smile How long do you have left on your PhD?

• You're welcome :)

I'm currently entering my third year and I need at least another year on top of that.

Reply Children