Concentration tips

I'm having one of those days (and often do!) where I have a big task to complete (my dissertation), but just can't concentrate. My mind keeps wandering, I'm procrastinating, and I feel like I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any tips on getting yourself to focus when you're struggling with concentration?

Parents
  • It's been a while since I was at uni (thankfully) but when overwhelmed I would write a list and start with something easy. Or set a word count and then reward myself with something when I hit it.

Totally out of practice now - I remember being able to write or revise for 2-3hrs straight! I blame smartphones...Grinning

• I blame smartphones

I refuse to have one, as I know it would become a rabbit-hole that I'd disappear down at the slightest opportunity (well, that and just hating telephones full stop - I've only had a mobile phone at all for just over a year.)

Something that I find helps me sometimes with lists is to introduce a bit of randomness to take the choice out of my hands. Listing the items is usually easy enough for me, but I then get stuck in "analysis paralysis" trying prioritise them or come up with clever "time saving" (ha ha) ways to order them. Working on the basis that getting anything done is better than doing nothing, I'll break the deadlock by using dice or pulling an item out of tombola to choose. It spurs my mind to switch from "planning" (procrastinating) mode into "action" mode, and it's surprising how many list items I'll then get ticked off once I've got started.

• Randomness is a good idea. I've been known to spend two hours on a to-do list (no exaggeration) because I obsess about colour coding, categorising and prioritising... not to mention making sure it all looks neat on the page. I've had to simplify my to-do lists to stop myself from falling into that trap!

• Haha, I have no idea why either. I'm fascinated that there are two of us Slight smile

• That’s so weird!  When I’ve mentioned to my friends that if I’m trying to write revision notes, or make a list of things I have to get done, that I need to use different handwriting they laugh and say it’s weird.  I have no idea why I do it. But I’m glad I’ve found someone else that does it too! 

• That’s so weird!  When I’ve mentioned to my friends that if I’m trying to write revision notes, or make a list of things I have to get done, that I need to use different handwriting they laugh and say it’s weird.  I have no idea why I do it. But I’m glad I’ve found someone else that does it too! 

Children