Concentration tips

I'm having one of those days (and often do!) where I have a big task to complete (my dissertation), but just can't concentrate. My mind keeps wandering, I'm procrastinating, and I feel like I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any tips on getting yourself to focus when you're struggling with concentration?

Parents
  • I thought autistic people were usually the opposite, but realise some have this problem, which seems a bit like ADHD or having other worries that fill the mind and being unable to get priorities correct.

I find I often put things off and don't plan then stay up all night once I get in to it. Usually the night before it's due to be submitted!

• I find I often put things off and don't plan then stay up all night once I get in to it. Usually the night before it's due to be submitted!

I've always been a "crammer" too - whether it was with my homework for school, or even profoundly important things like applying for benefits when I'm on the verge of homelessness, or making a doctor's appointment after my usual month of "waiting in agony to see if it goes away by itself."

I think you're right about the ADHD type tendencies (at one time you couldn't be diagnosed with both because they were though to overlap.) From talking with people who are diagnosed with ADHD on other forums, I get the impression that quite a lot of autistic people have traits very similar to the "pure inattentive" form of ADHD (i.e. without the impulsiveness and hyperactivity.)

• I got told I probably have inattentive adhd.  I’ve always struggled to get started on stuff, and always done every single essay/form/application last minute.  Usually staying up all night the night before it’s due in.  They said at my assessment I have very poor executive functioning.  

• I didn't know about inattentive ADHD until recently, but I do wonder whether that might be a factor for me - a lot of the symptoms seem to fit. I definitely struggle with executive functioning, but I know that could be autism-related too. I guess I'll just have to wait for my assessment to find out.

• I didn't know about inattentive ADHD until recently, but I do wonder whether that might be a factor for me - a lot of the symptoms seem to fit. I definitely struggle with executive functioning, but I know that could be autism-related too. I guess I'll just have to wait for my assessment to find out.

Children
No Data