Concentration tips

I'm having one of those days (and often do!) where I have a big task to complete (my dissertation), but just can't concentrate. My mind keeps wandering, I'm procrastinating, and I feel like I'm not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any tips on getting yourself to focus when you're struggling with concentration?

Parents
  • I thought autistic people were usually the opposite, but realise some have this problem, which seems a bit like ADHD or having other worries that fill the mind and being unable to get priorities correct.

I find I often put things off and don't plan then stay up all night once I get in to it. Usually the night before it's due to be submitted!

• To be honest, I'm still waiting for my autism assessment and they sent my pre-assessment questionnaires for both autism and ADHD... so maybe they're assessing me for both. Not sure if it means they suspect ADHD or if they're just standard forms - the letter didn't really explain.

I'm terrible for putting things off and pulling all-nighters to get them done before the deadline. It's not the healthiest approach!

• Re ADHD and autism ;the American Psychiatric Association (APA) stated for years that the two conditions couldn’t be diagnosed in the same person. In 2013, the APA changed its stance. With the release of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), the APA states that the two conditions can co-occur.

In a 2014 review of studies looking at the co-occurrence of ADHD and ASD, researchers found that between 30 to 50 percent of people with ASD also have symptoms of ADHD. Researchers don’t fully understand the cause for either condition, or why they occur together so frequently.

Both conditions may be linked to genetics. One study identified a rare gene that may be linked to both conditions. This finding could explain why these conditions often occur in the same person.

• What you said about failed attempts being a victory is really helpful. I'm currently going through exposure therapy for my OCD and I've been really frustrated with myself for having meltdowns when I attempt the exposure activities - I can't calm down the way I'm supposed to. At least I've attempted it though.

• The key is to do it everyday ( 5 10 15 ....30mins ) whatever u pick and  eventually u notice very slow changes (months). Even when u get it wrong, the failed attempt is a victory because u attempted ( it sinks in unconsciously) and u try again tomorrow . . . . . . . . . .

• The key is to do it everyday ( 5 10 15 ....30mins ) whatever u pick and  eventually u notice very slow changes (months). Even when u get it wrong, the failed attempt is a victory because u attempted ( it sinks in unconsciously) and u try again tomorrow . . . . . . . . . .

Children