Experience of declaring ASD in the workplace?

I'm considering returning to the workplace full time and would like to hear from people who have been hired since knowing that they have ASD or have declared ASD to their employer. Did you declare it during the interview process? How have any necessary adjustments in the workplace been received. Do you feel supported and accepted for your difference? I have been self-employed (leadership training) for 6 years after burning out - I can mask and 'pass' as NT but clearly it had a price for my health that I'm no longer willing to pay so I want to create a work situation that plays to my strengths yet allows some flex for ways of working so I can manage social interaction and sensory overload.  Maybe you've had less-than-great experiences too? All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Parents
  • I am glad I declared my autism, although it was a very bumpy ride, with offers of inadequate sums of money to leave or be dismissed, grievance, grievance appeal and tribunal followed by a cot3 agreement, a sum of money which paid my mortgage in return for a non disclosure agreement, still got my job and have any number of adjustments.  

Remember reasonable adjustments can be added to as their need arrives.  As bagpuss says access to work can be a help, and they may pay for training of your managers and other staff as to how autism affects you and also a support worker for a session or two a month,  They will also suggest other adjustments for you.

All my work colleagues know about my being autistic and it is no big deal, but it does go a long way to them understanding my somewhat strange behaviour at times.  

• I am glad I declared my autism, although it was a very bumpy ride, with offers of inadequate sums of money to leave or be dismissed, grievance, grievance appeal and tribunal followed by a cot3 agreement, a sum of money which paid my mortgage in return for a non disclosure agreement, still got my job and have any number of adjustments.  

Remember reasonable adjustments can be added to as their need arrives.  As bagpuss says access to work can be a help, and they may pay for training of your managers and other staff as to how autism affects you and also a support worker for a session or two a month,  They will also suggest other adjustments for you.

All my work colleagues know about my being autistic and it is no big deal, but it does go a long way to them understanding my somewhat strange behaviour at times.  

Children