Zoning out/shutting down

I’ve had problems for years with just zoning out or completely shutting down.  I don’t know what causes it sometimes, it’s like if I sit still everything shuts down and I either completely go to sleep or it’s like I’m asleep with my eyes being shut but I can hear things, but I just can’t respond or even move.  Does anyone else get this?  I was told it’s a response to being constantly overwhelmed and my body needing to rest from it all.  

Other times, like the three days annual leave I’ve had this week, i zone out for hours in a similar way, it’s very unproductive but it’s like I can’t fight it.  I had plans this week for my three days off but spent most of each day just lying still as if asleep but without being asleep.  Just zoned out and completely still.  I go back to work today and despite all this I feel completely exhausted.

does anyone else get this?  I read that it’s common for people with autism to be tired all the time.  

Parents
  • Purple Ella has a good video about shutdowns on YouTube.

I'm not sure whether I experience shutdowns or just extreme fatigue... sometimes, I feel like my whole body is slowing down so that even walking feels like hard work (it's like when you walk under water). I also find myself struggling to communicate and just longing for my bed. This tends to happen after a stressful day/when I've felt particularly overloaded.

• thats what i get --- i think it is a shutdown - i found it listed  under types of shutdown ( feeling sleepy and tired - and needing sleep ) sorry i cant remember where i read this. Again i thought it was fatigue but not now. When i feel my shutdown happening i talk in monosyllables and single words - and i know i am going down.

• Ah, okay - thank you. I definitely speak less when I'm feeling like this, and sometimes my words come out a bit jumbled.

• I totally get this.

i switch off when people become nasty and abusive too, even when I try really hard not to.  I slept through nearly all of college and the university lectures I showed up to.  My gp said it could be adhd, or it could be that any chance my body finds to shut down it takes because It’s constantly stressed due to autism.  Even when I’m out with friends or family so I have more relaxed company and some support it happens. I didn’t realise how angry I get because of sensory issues.  Or how other people don’t have the same anger and I’ve struggled and lived with it for years.  I

• Hi Nas50557

Have been zoninng out way before my diagnosis.

As a small child during maths lessons.  Anything else that was a bore.

I feel its a response to sensory overload in some Autistics. 

Or when you feel mentally overwhelmed by stress.

I live with depression & anxiety but still zone out when not being effected by the two.

Which means its part of my asd

To be honest I have also found myself switching off mentally when being verbally abused lol. 

This to my benefit because the other person could see I was mentally switched off.

My relative who is Autistic does this as well when the enviroment is crowded or noisey. When they don't understand something or in a new enviroment.

I think it helps if you try to eat well sleep well & exercise. 

I found in my case when I don't do the above I  zone out, a lot more.

• Hi Nas50557

Have been zoninng out way before my diagnosis.

As a small child during maths lessons.  Anything else that was a bore.

I feel its a response to sensory overload in some Autistics. 

Or when you feel mentally overwhelmed by stress.

I live with depression & anxiety but still zone out when not being effected by the two.

Which means its part of my asd

To be honest I have also found myself switching off mentally when being verbally abused lol. 

This to my benefit because the other person could see I was mentally switched off.

My relative who is Autistic does this as well when the enviroment is crowded or noisey. When they don't understand something or in a new enviroment.

I think it helps if you try to eat well sleep well & exercise. 

I found in my case when I don't do the above I  zone out, a lot more.

Children
  • I totally get this.

i switch off when people become nasty and abusive too, even when I try really hard not to.  I slept through nearly all of college and the university lectures I showed up to.  My gp said it could be adhd, or it could be that any chance my body finds to shut down it takes because It’s constantly stressed due to autism.  Even when I’m out with friends or family so I have more relaxed company and some support it happens. I didn’t realise how angry I get because of sensory issues.  Or how other people don’t have the same anger and I’ve struggled and lived with it for years.  I