Zoning out/shutting down

I’ve had problems for years with just zoning out or completely shutting down.  I don’t know what causes it sometimes, it’s like if I sit still everything shuts down and I either completely go to sleep or it’s like I’m asleep with my eyes being shut but I can hear things, but I just can’t respond or even move.  Does anyone else get this?  I was told it’s a response to being constantly overwhelmed and my body needing to rest from it all.  

Other times, like the three days annual leave I’ve had this week, i zone out for hours in a similar way, it’s very unproductive but it’s like I can’t fight it.  I had plans this week for my three days off but spent most of each day just lying still as if asleep but without being asleep.  Just zoned out and completely still.  I go back to work today and despite all this I feel completely exhausted.

does anyone else get this?  I read that it’s common for people with autism to be tired all the time.  

Parents
  • I get migraines that shut me down for days. Sometimes I zone out in the shower and forget if I have just done shampoo or conditioner. Or I wrap myself in a towel after and sit down and the next thing I know it's ten minutes later !

• I get migraines that shut me down for days. Sometimes I zone out in the shower and forget if I have just done shampoo or conditioner. Or I wrap myself in a towel after and sit down and the next thing I know it's ten minutes later !

Children
  • I quite often come out of the twilight zone with no idea what I've just done and/or was intending to do beforehand. It can take me an hour to have a cup of tea by the time I've zoned out while the kettle's going cold (again), found the mug that seems to have magically vanished from my hand, forgot that I wanted a cup of tea, remembered again, let the tea go cold while staring blankly in the vague direction of my computer screen, gone to the kitchen and back to make another one without remembering to put the kettle on,... etc...

I even seem to have some kind of auto-pilot for my legs, and can completely zone out while I'm out for a wander. The mud on my trousers will tell me that I must have gone for that walk in the woods, but I don't have the faintest idea which path I took, or how I managed to get covered in scratches! When I look back over my life, I'm astonished that I've never been hit by traffic, given how I seem to teleport from one place to another sometimes - there must be a little green-cross code man buried deep in my sub-conscious somewhere.