Zoning out/shutting down

I’ve had problems for years with just zoning out or completely shutting down.  I don’t know what causes it sometimes, it’s like if I sit still everything shuts down and I either completely go to sleep or it’s like I’m asleep with my eyes being shut but I can hear things, but I just can’t respond or even move.  Does anyone else get this?  I was told it’s a response to being constantly overwhelmed and my body needing to rest from it all.  

Other times, like the three days annual leave I’ve had this week, i zone out for hours in a similar way, it’s very unproductive but it’s like I can’t fight it.  I had plans this week for my three days off but spent most of each day just lying still as if asleep but without being asleep.  Just zoned out and completely still.  I go back to work today and despite all this I feel completely exhausted.

does anyone else get this?  I read that it’s common for people with autism to be tired all the time.  

Parents
  • Yes , it's very frustrating and bad news. you must try and break out of it as the longer established it becomes, the more difficult to improve it and there is the worry that it may affect your work and employability. My advice would be to try and structure plan each day with times for doing things and times for rest/ recovery and not et the rest recovery get too large

• Yes , it's very frustrating and bad news. you must try and break out of it as the longer established it becomes, the more difficult to improve it and there is the worry that it may affect your work and employability. My advice would be to try and structure plan each day with times for doing things and times for rest/ recovery and not et the rest recovery get too large

Children
  • OMG - Until it was identified that I was highly likely to be on the Spectrum, I had been doing this off (good times) and on (bad times) for the last ten years following something someone said that I took literally.  It has taken 50 years to realise it is my Asperger's condition that remained unknown to me alongside other hereditary things.

Currently I am two years into a complete mental mess due to my workplace damagement and have zoned out again (to the detriment of both myself but someone else) and unable to put it into words at to what it is like when the fog/cloud fills my brain.

Without any routine/structure that is part of my small steps then I hyper focus on something and only that.